The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:36 pm 
My work in progress - or lack of!

its not a straightforward swap as its a tall engine compared to a sprint lump and required a lot of chopping and a non standard sump to get it to this stage. I would have liked to lower the steering rack and drop it a bit lower - maybe in a parallel universe there's another me who has more time and cash and has actually finished it!

Maybe next year after we've finished popping out sprogs!
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:23 am 
TDC Member

Funnily enough, we were talking as a group about this subject at the last Cub Triumph meeting I attended.

There surface every so often a group within the Euro parliament who bat on about how dirty, horrid, and inconsequential classic cars are, and how they should be brought into line with ever increasing emissions legislation.

If (when?) this eventually happens, the only way around it will be to fit a modern compliant engine with all the emissions management gubbins that goes with it, and with appropriate cost implications. Some Euro classic enthusiasts (with deep pockets) ahve already bitten the bullet.

This summer my visit to the Nurburgring coincided with a major classic gathering, and I saw two Healey 3000's fitted with in line BMW sixes, one of which had the latest 2006 330i lump. I dread to think what it had all cost to put together.

New cars will have to comply with the new Euro 5 standards next year and Euro 6 is already on the stocks for 2009. BMW, Mercedes and VAG are all working to Euro 6 already on their new ranges. Ford is also trying to be Euro 6 compliant across the range by end 2007. The new Mondeo due imminently will be Euro 6 compliant three years ahead of the regs.

With the anti-motoring lobby now fast gaining political weight, and the greens frightening everybody in elections in mainland Europe (though not yet here) we live in a changing world. David is right to raise this, as I cannot see us continuing to drive old cars around as we do now in ten years time.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:38 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I would have liked to lower the steering rack and drop it a bit lower

Lowering the rack would also mean moving the steering arms down as well,
Something to do with Bump Steer and lot's of other Steering ankle stuff,

That's why I didn't move the rack on mine.

Back in my possession 22 September 2019.
Rebuilding the Sprint time taken so far, 111Hrs@15/12/2020
212Hrs @31/12/2021
352 @ 28/11/2022
455Hrs @ 20/10/2023
480Hrs @ 14/03/2024
This is time taken at the Sprint not necessary time worked.

Working on a ratio of just 7Hrs a day not including driving to the Sprint.
That equals to 68 days that doesn’t include weekends.
Member TDC no 0471

Project 13B Sprint now back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:00 am 
I managed to get my car down to 2.5% CO emmisions with a blown head gasket, and thats a £25 engine! It started off at 11%CO but got leaned out for the purpose of an MOT :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:02 am 
That's great!

With the other cars, you could still drive them away afterwards as is, mind and not have them blow a hole through a piston! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:23 pm 
they tried this in the usa i belive their ploy was stoped by the people that drive the older cars they even tried to get them off the roads by offering big discounts against newer ones and the emissions reg you have to put the correct year engine in the correct year car
so i guess if the government is pressed harder then you should have nowt to wory about after all it's our heritage isn't it although they try hard to forget that once long ago we had a motor industry of our own
after all really the preservation of the cars is primarily to contain the correct engine trans etc....
after all you dont see an essex v6 in a ferrari do you although it might be a tad more reliable...