The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: True or false?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:41 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

True or false?

This is from a driver protect group.

We've had reports from Members that Police in parts of the country are issuing Fixed Penalty Notices for having snow on your roof.

I've done a search and cannot find it reported on any major news source, but there are a number of forums discussing it.

The thinking is that it is dangerous if the snow falls off and obscures the visibility for the car behind.

In my opinion this thinking is completely flawed because:

a) it's unrealistic in this snowstorm to completely clear your car of snow before driving off -- there's 2ft of snow where I am in Kent!;

b) people are driving around at 10mph on roads that are covered in snow -- excess snow on cars is hardly about to fly off uncontrollably at that speed;

c) the vision of other cars is ALREADY obscured and - in the most case - peoples driving is accounting for the poor visibility.

I've just got off the phone to our head Lawyer, Matthew Coxall, and we have agreed that DriveProtect will give advice to Members and if necessary represent at Court if you are issued with an FPN for 'snow on the roof' during this cold snap.

Stay safe on the road,

Well a few years ago the police were stopping cars in Devon and checking the emissions and grabbing money for their pensions in the form of fines if the car failed, so I would not put it past the blighters to pull a stunt like this, but it does seem a step too far.............but hey eating a sandwich in a sationary car in a queue has attracted the pension boosters so its possible.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

Post subject: Re: True or false?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:46 pm 
That law is in effect in Massachussetts, not sure how much it's enforced, but i don't take any chances and clear the snow off my car with a broom. For once I actually think it's an OK traffic law as getting a bunch of snow and ice fly off the car/truck in front on the highway can be very alarming. Lock em up I say.

Cheers
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm 
it is an offence but I doubt very much that the police are ringnetting people just for this maybe a few peple have been stopped, cautioned or ticketted but I would think it is more likely that the offenders have snow covering thier head/ tail lights or obsuring their vision rather than just having snow on the roof.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:17 pm 

Yes I know what you mean Justyn I was amazed at several people this morning who had not cleared their headlamps.
I would indeed fine people who do not clear their windows if I was the law.
I did see the boys in blue today in their landrover :mrgreen: , in fact I let them out of a junction as I thought they were busier than me as I was crawling to work.
I can see a problem if the roof has ice and the car is on a motorway.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:37 pm 

Quote:
The thinking is that it is dangerous if the snow falls off and obscures the visibility for the car behind.
I am led to understand that they are more concerned about the snow sliding forward under braking and obscuring the driver's forward vision.

Its a shame that the authorities are forced to resort to fining people for having no imagination or common sense but, then again, think of it as a tax on the stupid and it all seems much more worthy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:42 pm 
Attachment:
Common_Sense.jpg
Common_Sense.jpg [ 52.01 KiB | Viewed 1364 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm 

I would just argue that the snow had accumulated on the roof during the jam that the police had failed to clear and therfore not my fault....:-)

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:05 pm 
If issuing fixed penalty tickets involved the money going into my pension, I do believe I would have issued about a million for any insignificant offences that I could lay eyes on :wink: As of course they don't contribute to my pension,in any way shape or form :roll: I have never been that bothered with them, unless someone had done something outrageous. I certainly haven't heard about issuing a fine for that particular reason where I work

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:23 pm 

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/police-snow- ... hoax.shtml
False. Shame really.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:30 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Plod should stick to solving crimes or catchiing uninsured drivers. If they must spend time on non-criminal activities they should stop people fom driving in the weather who haven't got a clue.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 pm 
well spotted Oli, I didnt see that earlier when i cheacked HS and Snopes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:05 pm 
Quote:
Plod should stick to solving crimes or catchiing uninsured drivers. If they must spend time on non-criminal activities they should stop people fom driving in the weather who haven't got a clue.

strange quote there mark!
are you saying police should not stop people driving a vehicle that may cause a danger to other road users?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:05 pm 

I can't take credit for that one Justyn, someone on another place (that I don't actually like, but some of the stuff there is actually quite cool, inbetween the arguments) spotted it, I just forwarded it here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 pm 
Book them. I've seen it happen often enough, a car brakes and the whole lot of snow on the roof collapses onto the windscreen. The driver is blind and still travelling forwards.
Eeejits.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 am 
It's in the highway code, too:

Rule 229 of the Highway Code: "remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users".