The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: GT6 £14,000 !
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:10 am 
I think if you look at many prices of cars in the classic car market these days, this doesn't seem like bad value for money.
A cars value is made up from many elements, far more than just how they drive. If you try and legitimise why a car is worth more than the sum of their parts, then it will never add up. That is like arguing that any other collectable, whether that be art, furniture, jewellery, even homes, should only be priced on objective grounds. People have desires, romantic ideas, nostalgia driven whims, that is what keeps many people happy. Not everything has to add up. We are not all accountants, or risk analysts, or health and safety officials. Life is allowed to nurture desires of the heart, as well as common sense and logic.
As things gets older, more sought after, rarer, and the people who romanticise about them have more money, things will rise in value. This has been happening for years and years in the free market economy.
A Gt6 deserves to make pretty good money purely on the virtues that they are very attractive and more unusual than an MGB. Who really cares how they drive, very few of them will be put to regular use, and even so, people tend to respect the compromises of an older car, and tend to not to drive them above 7 tenths anyway, at which point, most cars are fairly predictable.
People determine the price of things. Value for money is only part.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:40 pm 
Quote:
It could have a lot to do with why the TR7/8 is actually the best drive of the lot...which few people will ever admit in public. If the TR7 has a fault, its a bit too wide for its length to be as good as it could be.
:thumbsup:

Hear hear!

The pensioner who I bought my TR8 from used to track day it (4.2l 300bhp) He said his favourite game was to fleece young lads in Subaru Imprezas who would look at him as he went past with a "WTF is that?" expression on their faces - Because of course they had absolutely no idea what a TR8 was being born 10-15 years after Triumphs demise... :woohoo:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:32 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Is it a good thing? Or is it just more money than sense.

There is no way a GT6 justifies that value on automotive merit. Yes it looks ok but they drive agriculturally and are
probably sub MGB in enjoyment.

I'd rather have 2 sprints for the same money. That money should also get you a far better (as a car) decent TR6, a factory TR8 or a super stag.

Jonners
On pure merit no classic car is worth it.

Put it this way if we were both given a budget of 4K, I could buy any car and you were limited to one built before 1980. I would have no problem buying a car that could best yours in every department.

Except in terms of looks, rarity and that intangible quality of how it makes you feel.