The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:36 pm 
TDC Member

Hi All,
The car hasn't run since Xmas eve, it's a perfect day for a run, dry, windy, no salt so 4.5 miles to the garage, flat battery.
I have no electrickery at the garage.
Can anyone recommend a trickle charger/conditioner for the battery, must be solar powered? (and safe to leave on!!).

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've got one of these, not sure how it ranks against other types, but it works for me.
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powere ... lsrc=aw.ds

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I bought one from Maplin too, a smaller version that was about £15 (but it was in double figures years ago!)

It sits on the garage roof and keeps the Lotus charged over winter; without it, the alarm can drain the battery in about 4-5 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:13 pm 
TDC Member

With a fully charged battery, disconnecting it after putting it away it should hold charge for at least 4 weeks (maybe more). I have a quick disconnect thingy for the positive and it keeps the level great. Never had to jump start it.
On the solar chargers make sure its fully charged before using it. They wont re-charge a battery much but will hold the charge. I have one I havent needed for ages and to see if it still works I connected up to a meter and just inside under strip lights it shows 2.2volts.

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:41 pm 
TDC Member

I was going to say don't buy the Maplins one but with all the positive mentions I'm wondering if mine is just faulty!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:00 pm 
I bought one of these https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-BATTERY-ST ... SwLYBaHCWg

As it was the cheapest I could find at the time, I think I paid £32 for it, it did not last long and it got knocked off the workbench when it was in a discharged state which didn't help it either. So I took it apart and bought a new battery for it with a higher AH rating: 20 instead of 16 I think.

I now use a £12 solar charger to keep the booster topped up. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-RSP150- ... xyRhBSz7V5

The solar charger was a cheap job from ebay, it only really does anything when in direct sunlight and is only rated at 1.5w. I am sure there are better value ones around that produce more power, or maybe I could double them up for dark days like we have at this time of year.

Overall a bit of a waste of money buying a booster, a new booster battery and a solar charger. However this situation evolved over 18 -24 months and was not by design. The booster saved me quite a few times when the car I had would suffer from bad starting when hot. The battery on the car would eventually run down but the booster pack saved me (when I remembered to take it with me).