The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:48 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Here is a question that might spark a bit of controversy....

If you have a car you have bought, which is repairable, but you don't have the time, all of the skills or the desire to do it yourself (other more worthwhile projects).

Lets assume it doesn't make a nominal reserve of say £100 on ebay.

Do you:

(a) Offer it for free and lose your original money (bearing in mind the new owner may well break it and then you wouldn't have the benefit of the money or the parts)

(b) Break it up and use the parts for your more worthwhile projects, or sell them so others benefit (and you get some cash)

(c) Leave it where it is and hope that someone wants it in future

(d) Something else

Don't panic, I don't have anything specific in mind, just wondering what peoples general opinions are....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:03 am 

I have read Aluns oh whats the point post in the dolomite section, but I guess there is still the issue that we can encourage more dolomite club members (anything I sell goes with a recommendation) but there is probably only a certain number of people who like the marque and have the other factors relevant to keeping a dolly alive. Can anyone tell me how big the club has been and if it is keeping its numbers steadyish or if there is any other trend.

I guess we are seeing a lot of the older drivers who had these cars from new / second owners who have kept their cars for a long time passing them on now as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:16 am 
Well what a dilema to be faced with at this time of the morning! (thanks Dave :wink: )

I had a similar situation two summers ago with an 1850 with rotten body but great engine.

My situation dicatated the solution and it was that I broke the car for it's engine/gearbox. It had been advertised locally to Triumph owners but no one took it up, it could have been restored.

As I say my situation was STORAGE, I only had an area at the front of my house and it meant the car was on full show to the entire street. I felt I didn't want to make the house look like Onslow's from Keeping up Apperances with rusted car in the front garden.

I would have loved to have kept the entire car for either long term breaking (for mine and others benefits) or as to passing it on as a repairable item which could have been put to use as a car for the future.

In the end, I got so fed up with breaking the car (and myself as I ended up in A&E at one point) I was glad to see it taken away on the back of the scrapper's lorry.

Ideally, and when I win the lottery (positive thinking) I will buy cars of ebay, store them in the barns that I will have on the farm that I will own and there they will stay until someone wants to restore them. Well we all have a dream . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When the four registers merged to form the TDC in 1991, there were over 1700 members. The number has decreased slightly every year since then, until we're under the 1000 mark now. With a total number of cars (all models) still registered at the DVLA of around 4000, with some model numbers being in double figures, it's obvious to all just why we are such a small club.
I had grand plans for my fleet of Dolly 1300s but due to a change in circumstances I've not been able to carry through any of those ideas. I sold one car on Ebay last year, which the buyer assured me would be put back on the road (I spotted it being sold in pieces on Ebay a few months ago :cry: ), I gave another car to a club member (which I assume is being used as a source of spares to keep his own car running) and the final car is being given away shortly (unless anyone else here would like to take it on as a project?). I really did do my best to see these cars put back on the road, and had my circumstances been different, they would have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:02 am 

Thanks for that, its actually better than I thought!

4000 cars registered at DVLA is bound to include a few registration only SORNS, but thats still not bad. Its mentioned in another thread but knowing whats out there would be useful. Especially if a certain model was particularly rare, it might encourage someone to save it and use something else as a body for their sprint engine and running gear!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:23 am 
TDC Member

Still, it does compare favourably to other marques, given the number of cars originally built. Consider the Marina, a million made, and less than 1000 left with the DVLA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The list; http://p206.ezboard.com/fthetriumphdolo ... =183.topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:56 am 
And that list is now 2 years old so I wonder how relevant it is now? Do we know if Maurice does still come on the forums and whether he could do a new list for 2006/07?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:35 pm 
i would go for B. and maybe C. if i had the space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:45 pm 

thanks Justyn, I may be making that a plan soon, anyone need any 1850 bits......Still trying to find a good home for them whole, but if no one wants them whole.....aaaarrgghhhhh why are these cars so undervalued, I drive one everyday and I don't understand it.

Mrr Tinweevil, I'm glad you spurred me on to chop the honda in for a dolly - its made my commute more...interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:16 am 
Well what you do is offer it for free to someone who is willing to spend lots of time on it. Oh and a bit of money. Unfortunatly theres only one of me but I'm more than willing to take on a basket case of a Dolly to do up over time because well basically, I'm odd.

:D Im here if you need me

Adam

Post subject: A difficult one...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:55 am 

I take it this is about the white one?
What does it need for an MoT. That will help it sell if its a known quantity.

Some cars do get so bad they have to be called time on...so its okay to part them out if beyond economic repair and it helps keep others going.
Thats different than buying form the Terryman brigade.
I have a rule of thumb now...
Can Gary get it sellable paint and body wise for what it cost me plus his time. My time is free...for the cause but I do recover bits costs. If not it gets broken. So far Ive broken only one...

Older tax free ones should never be broken...they can always be reshelled. So can any Sprint.

We need more takers from Adams generation.....or the cars will die out with us old buffers.

Projects are like women...better looking ones always come along when youve just got into one...

Jonners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:23 am 

It wasn't about anyone in particular, but there are a couple of possible candidates!

The white one really needs to be kept whole. Its all complete, runs and probably doesn't need much for the MOT (If someone hadn't bid on it i would probably have put it in for one)

Your rule of thumb is good, although reshelling some sprints, maybe some mart barn finds might be a challenge....!

I take your point about getting them sellable, but I reckon I have one or two more to do before I can start working properly on those ones....I'm still considering your 4 post lift idea!

How old do you have to be to be an old buffer then?

I think you'd be surprised at the age ranges across the club...maybe not so many adams age, but not all too far removed.

I like your soundbite, might even borrow it for a tagline if thats allowed!

I reckon I have nearly got through my initial upgrading process and have some cars that meet my criteria - fixable by me (well mostly by me although there are some heros in the wings who I periodically shower with praise)