The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:45 am 
TDC Member

So we no longer have paper tax-discs. And the DVLA are having a new get tough policy on untaxed cars.
On Saturday I saw a fairly new car by the side of the road with a DVLA-labelled wheel clamp on it and a big yellow sticky envelope on the screen.
I assume he has been spotted for no tax disc. But what happens to the car now ? I can see that if it was missing insurance or the road tax payment it would be simply ring up and arrange the documents and the clamp would be removed. But supposing it was no MOT ? How do you get an MOT test with a wheel clamp on ?
Ta,
Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:54 am 
TDC Member

I assume the yellow sticky envelopes contents would explain all that.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:46 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

The tax is automatically cancelled once a car is sold so the new buyer will have to tax it before it can be driven on the road. Also, the paper counterpart of the driving licence has been done away with as from today.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - a project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint), NYE 751L (1972 Dolomite 1850 auto) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 pm 

Quote:
But what happens to the car now ?
Either he pays them and they come and take it off or he doesn't and they come back and take the car. If he still doesn't pay it gets crushed I expect.

They wouldn't clamp it for no insurance as it'd still need to be insured sat there clamped and it's not really the DVLA's problem. The police will seize cars with no insurance and tow them to wherever they store that sort of thing. It's ~£150 to get it back if you turn up with an insurance certificate iirc. (plus the 6 points and ~£1000 fine for no insurance)

No MOT is a "don't be so naughty" and a fine (£100?), though I'd expect the police or vosa whichever stopped you to go over it fairly thoroughly and if they found anything that's a construction and use issue either lots of points or tow it. An MOT is after all just a bit of paper that says a big list of things to check were ok on one particular day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:48 pm 

Quote:
The tax is automatically cancelled once a car is sold so the new buyer will have to tax it before it can be driven on the road. Also, the paper counterpart of the driving licence has been done away with as from today.
I have ONLY a green paper driving licence!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:11 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Quote:
Quote:
I have ONLY a green paper driving licence!
I thought it was illegal not to have the proper licence but apparently not!

Details here.... https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/ ... -abolished

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:52 pm 
TDC Member

The paper licence IS a proper licence!

I was gutted that when we moved nearly 2 years ago I had my paper licence replaced by a photocard one. Gutted.

I didn't have to pay for it but will in 10 years when it is renewed. However this seems unreasonable. When I got my livence I paid for it and it was a licence for life. They changed the rules retrospectively. Naughty that is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:59 pm 
You dint have to pay if you have a passport. They can use the same photo as your passport. All done on line and only takes a couple of mins. Did mine the other month as the photo card ran out 3yrs ago.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:14 pm 
I still have the old paper only driver licence.
Just rented a car in Canada from Hertz - absolutely no issues.
I took the precaution of logging onto the dvla site and getting an access code for Hertz before I travelled, but needn't have bothered.
The paper licence was the only thing (and a credit card!) the guy asked for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:31 pm 

Quote:
I still have the old paper only driver licence.
Just rented a car in Canada from Hertz - absolutely no issues.
I took the precaution of logging onto the dvla site and getting an access code for Hertz before I travelled, but needn't have bothered.
The paper licence was the only thing (and a credit card!) the guy asked for.
Same with me in Portugal recently, absolutely no problem apart from having to open the old paper one VERY carefully. Its getting a bit battered like the owner!