The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Doing a Volkswagen
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:08 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Seems to me the VW engineers designed their cars to pass the emissions test and they did it very well. Right or wrong they did a good job. The real problem as I see it is that the test bears no relation to real world driving and it needs to be made much more realistic. Similarly we all know that manufacturers quoted mpg figures are usually totally misleading and always have been for years, no one actually believed them did they?

There are a whole lot of lawyers rubbing their hands in anticipation of making themselves a fortune, and I hear owners saying they only bought the cars because of their "green" credentials. Really? I think many of them are just hoping for another PPI type payout.

Governments are not innocent in all this. They actively encouraged us to buy diesel cars but have now realised that particulate levels are becoming an issue in cities and could be a potential health problem. If all the cars were petrol instead it would be different pollution but again health issues. Luckily we don't choose to live in a big city so don't experience it.

My own Sprint engine runs on the rich side and will sometimes produce a nice big cloud of blue smoke after hot idling for a while (valve stem seals?) but I can tinker with it to pass the test - then put it back as it was for the rest of the year.

Don't you just love old cars!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:25 pm 
TDC Member

I couldn't agree with you more Russ.

Edit: Although I own a VW derived car, I'm not after a PPI type payout!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:43 pm 

I never had any problem with the exhaust emissions from my 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL" and never adjusted the mixture settings! :D Just for interest, I always had the MOT inspectors check the exhaust emissions for carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons, which remained within the manufacturer's specifications, up to its final mileage of 101,000, when I laid it up in mid-1999.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 pm 
TDC Member

mpg figures are exaggerated by the speedo reading a bit fast and hence miles clock up faster. Sat nav taught me that :)

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:59 am 

I think Nigel pre 75 you just have to pass on visible smoke. That being said a single carb 1300 should be adjustable for MOT purposes.
Twin carbs at 800 rpm (especially MGB's) will have a bit more trouble but should be ok at over 1000 rpm.

Funny how reports are now rife that VW's new software fix impairs performance and economy. Totally predictable.

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

I'm sure all the owners of PHEV's will start complaining soon that they can't get 150mpg out of their cars, designed very cleverly of course to run on electric for most of the tests! The wife will probably get one next though as it's a good way to massively cut her tax bill as a SE person. Currently eyeing up a Hyundai or a Kia but we're realistic as to the expected fuel consumption.

I reckon most manufacturers have been cheating but VW just got caught.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30