The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sat Nav
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:47 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Well we were well on the way home Winchester stored as a destination and just gone past Silverstone and the damn Sat Nav told us to take the next exit off the A34!!!! I ignored it as unless you fly you aint gonna get to Winchester faster.
Does your Sat Nav ask you to take a stupid route?
By the way its A TomTom model and fairly new.
Or does the Sat Nav have access to super routes :lol:

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

Post subject: Re: Sat Nav
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:00 pm 

I've just come back from Central London, and if I did every turn the Tomtom said, I would still be there.

The one in my van is a connected tracking device which receives traffic information, and then tries to
put you in the traffic as well.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:03 pm 
TDC Member

Have you got it set to shortest route rather than fastest? Shortest takes you down all sorts of tracks!

Does it have traffic updates, the built in one in my new Passat does so quite often takes me down the back way through Barton Stacey/Kingsworthy to avoid the tail backs at the Winnal A34/M3 junction.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 pm 

http://www.rtvoost.nl/nieuws/default.as ... &undefined

Recent local news. Womens follows satnav and drives into water. The Ferry had left already......

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:16 pm 
TDC Member

I tried to use the built in TomTom in the works pool Renault Migraine the other day on my way to Wareham, it was trying to send me down the A1-M25-M3 way, so just used my normal Waze app on my phone, much better, nice drive down the A14-A43-A34. Mind you, Waze takes me on some odd detours, but then I've got it set up to avoid traffic and keep me moving, don't care if it's longer and I arrive at the same time, I just can't stand stop start traffic!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:26 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
http://www.rtvoost.nl/nieuws/default.as ... &undefined

Recent local news. Womens follows satnav and drives into water. The Ferry had left already......

Jeroen
Get's a little entertaining in the comment section when the old chap with the pipe says "Yes, but female + car + Navigation = trouble", just goes to show, people are the same no matter the location!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:54 pm 
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you know anyone who drives a breakdown/recovery vehicle, ask them for some stories about satnav-induced mishaps, not all women either - there are some cracking reports! :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:48 am 
TDC Member

I make regular visits from south yorks to skegness and when using my old tomtom one mid way there there is a fork in the road which everytime the sat nav directs me to the right but the voice to the left :?: Also sometimes on motorways it can direct me off at a junction only to rejoin it at the same junction.

1980 vermillion 1500hl W reg
1975 green 1500tc auto P reg
1971 wedgewood blue 2000 auto mk2 J reg
1979 Sandglow 1500HL auto V reg
1972 valencia blue Toledo 2 dr K reg
1973 Brown Toledo 2 dr L reg
1973 Green Toledo 2 dr L reg
1977 white Datsun 100a f2 S reg
1983 White Toyota Tercel 4x4
1987 Brown Toyota Tercel 4x4
1988 Blue Toyota Tercel 4x4
1999 Toyota Corolla vvti est
2005 Ford ranger thunder XLT
because one triumph just isnt enough

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:12 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Yes, the built in one in the Superb tried to take me up the M5 and along the M4 back from Taunton to Fleet and told me it would take 3.5 hours to get home. It also gives various weird routes, I need to check it I think.

As I have driven to Exeter Uni a lot when I was younger I ignored it and took the '303, got home in about 2:20 and I was gobsmacked by the lack of traffic at 4pm on a Friday afternoon!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:02 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the built in one in the Superb tried to take me up the M5 and along the M4 back from Taunton to Fleet and told me it would take 3.5 hours to get home. It also gives various weird routes, I need to check it I think.

As I have driven to Exeter Uni a lot when I was younger I ignored it and took the '303, got home in about 2:20 and I was gobsmacked by the lack of traffic at 4pm on a Friday afternoon!
Probably have taken less than 2 hours going M5, M4 James.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:23 pm 

Just thought I'd add,

The BMW sat nav works better than a TomTom anyday, and does not auto zoom in when driving,
thus allowing you to plot a route like a normal map, also it nearly always uses a route slightly
different to the TomTom navs, which helps a lot, as those road are clogged with sat nav followers.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:42 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

My wife's sat nav in her Lexus caused much amusement the other week when she went to Derby and up popped Lara Croft Way on the screen.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:20 pm 

Mine is a tomtom with the traffic and I really wonder sometimes why I bother. Chances of getting a connection to the server to get traffic updates are inversely proportional to your level of need. When it does know there's traffic ahead the alternative route given is usually just as snarled up.

I complained about the s##t service once, every Monday & Thursday it was the grey worm for greater than half of my 3 hour journey, all I got was a limp 'sorry'. Then I asked why TF I was being asked to renew a speed camera subscription I don't have yet the full live services (including cameras) about to expire was nowhere to be found in my account. That got a decent apology and a free 3 month extension. From this I deduce that major failings of paid for services are less important than inconveniences. At the end of my extra 3 months I think I shall complain that I don't like the colour scheme, I'm hoping for a free year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:48 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

We were going the other way one summer and the 303 was nose to butt around Andover and although we had no Sat Nav I veered off and went Glastonbury way and it was an empty road that took us all the way to Somerset with no holdups.
We live 20 miles from Winchester and ignore the three routes that Sat nav supplies and we know we are quicker on our rown route as we have timed them all.
The worst Sat nav route we had was from Gatwick to Petersfield a couple of years ago when it dragged us through the countryside full of potholes to get to the A3 when the best route takes in Billingshurst and Midhurst, plus it took over 2 hours when the norm is just over one and a half hours.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:18 am 
TDC Member

Mazda TomTom is a 'mare in big cities and middle of no-wheres.
Google maps on my android 'phone is pretty damned good, I use that when the Mazda is playing up.