The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: f!#©®ing pot holes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:55 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:
Hampshire seems OK, go across the border to Surrey and the roads are just terrible.
I grew up in Hants and we always thought our roads were good vs Berkshire which were especially bad. These days I don't think Hampshire is that good. Now I have moved North Staffordshire is very variable, some are very good, others appalling but Cheshire East are consistently extremely poor.

I did go to Corfu a few years ago and thought the roads were appalling so perhaps they are better now? We have a place in Portugal and the roads there are either very good or like they've been bombed. The motorways there are perfect and because no one uses them they remain good and you can drive pretty much flat out on them. You have to pay but who cares when they are as good as they are.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:39 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Only today I was reading the Autocar magazine and Vauxhall don't bother with using Mira to test suspension and instead use the local roads because they have become so bad they (Vauxhall) claim that they are the worst of the main EU zone. They claim Germany and France has the best roads and do not require the softer setup that is now special for the UK.
When I bought wife Diane, her MX5, I had to replace all four road springs.
It could be worse, as when I was replacing one of my tyres (was brand new) because I hit a hidden by water pothole, there was another motorist who had had a bill for over £800 for an alloy and tyre that had been destroyed in the same (Westbourne) Sussex village.

I am reminded of dog walkers who destroy walkers pleasure by letting their mutts poo everywhere so as to make you watch where you're putting your feet instead of enjoying the view, the same is true for motoring as regards potholes.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:15 pm 
TDC Member

Trouble is, when it's dark, pouring down and the potholes are full of water, you won't see them. My wife and I punctured our tyre like this on our way back from church one night and she got so wet, she developed pneumonia and was off work for 6 weeks.
We tackled North Yorkshire County Council, who pass all claims to a private insurance firm. I only asked for £54, the cost of the replacement tyre.
Once their insurers got hold of it, everything went in to slow-mo, while they - wait for it - contacted NYCC for details of the periodic road inspection. This despite the fact that I had written to them 9 months earlier describing the condition of the road. I never got a reply and the road got worse.
Anyway they refused the claim on the grounds that the road had passed it's annual inspection by (surprise, surprise) the NYCC.
By this time, I felt completely ground down and gave up, but when I saw a picture in the local paper with the NYCC chief executive pointing to some beautiful new tarmac on an obscure road here in the Yorkshire Dales (in advance of the Tour de France - that's why) I was livid.
So I wrote to the chief executive and gave him full vent, saying that I didn't know what kind of reports his inspectors were sending him, but suggesting that he ought to get himself down and take a look.
He wrote back saying it wasn't his area of responsibility, but amazingly the road was then resurfaced for the first time in over 20 years.