The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: IOM TT
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:35 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

My partner is from the iom so as you can guess my evenings have been taken up by watching the TT
I must say hats off to all that ride in the races. The on board camera footage takes my breath away.it's not like your usual race meeting where else would you be able to just walk into the pit area and have a chat with a top rider..my mate had a 10 minute conversation with John maguiness had his photo taken and a hand shake really nice bloke definitely no big time Charlie
I went last year and if you like your bikes as well as your triumph cars it's should be on anyone's bucket list

Post subject: Yes…..
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:47 am 
TDC Member

Great coverage on ITV4!
Also the Criterium du Dauphine cycling this week……we are being spoiled :D

Ian.

Post subject: Re: IOM TT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:01 am 
TDC Member

I love the island. Went 2 yrs ago for main tt week which was mind blowing to see live. Last year went to the classic. Nice to see the older bikes still giving it the beans. Im going to the classic again this year - along with the sprint! (if it behaves)

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:32 am 

I will be over their for the southern 100 in July. Can't wait for that :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:19 pm 
TDC Member

I first visited the TT in 1975 and it was a very different experience to how it is now. Bikes were craned on to ferries, and the majority of spectators machines were still British. Mick Grant got the course record up to about 115 mph that year, and the legendary Triumph Triple (Slippery Sam) beat off the Japanese competition as well.
I've been back - on and off - for several years but now find it imposible to return because the ferries and accomodation are pre-booked and over-booked , even a year in advance.
So it's channel 24 every year for me, from the comfort of my armchair - but I do miss the festival of TT week which the cameras never show. Incidentally when I have managed to get there in the past, I've always taken the only motorcycle I own - it's a 1951 BSA 250 cc four stroke single, which I bought for £2 as a field hack in 1971. I sort of rescued it, passed my bike test on it and never got round to buying anything else 2 wheeled. It's seriously underpowered, quite unreliable and only has 3 gears, so getting to the Isle of man can be an achievement in itself. It takes me nearly an hour and a half to lap the TT course on it, nowhere near as fast as the stars do it in. But they don't stop for traffic lights or slow down for 30mph limits either. I think my 1500HL would be a bit quicker!