The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:14 am 
TDC Member

I would like to install up/down lights outside my house. The boss has said she would like them on a timer, lets say in winter 16:00 - 23:00. in summer a later turn on time. After 23:00 the lights need to go PIR.

I can access the current porch wall switch for power. Now I am thinking -

Timer to set the desired times.
PIR for turning on after the timer.
A Photocell for sensing summer/winter darkness within the timer window and so they are not triggered in the morning.

I assume I need a timer that will be either be switched to timer or to permanent live. Possible and any suggestions ?
Stand alone PIR
Stand alone Photocell.

Now the tricky bit assuming I have the right items listed above. How it is all wired ?

Power to timer ?
One way direct to light ( powers light in timer window)
One way to photocell and to PIR to trigger in darkness outside of timer ?

Any help appreciated... Thanks

1980 Vermillion Sprint - 174bhp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:35 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

My old house had a timer controlled light. A socket had been wired into the lighting circuit and a timer plugged in. Worked perfectly, probably entirely unacceptable from a wiring point of view but did just the job. There was no PIR here though.

The lights in my home now are PIR and also have a switch so you can permenently switch them on or flick the switch off and they're PIR only. I dare say this sort of setup using a permanent live would be easy to do. Just substitute the on off switch for a timer.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

If they are outside why the need to have them on when no one is there, wouldn't a PIR on its on be ok. this would be easier to wire and save on energy?

The timer would have to be live all the time otherwise the clock within the timer won't work then a separate feed for the PIR. the PIR cant be on the timer circuit as it then wouldn't work when timer isn't live. Most PIR's will have a photocell built in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:34 pm 
TDC Member

Try these, http://www.timeguard.com/products/light

used some of their kit for various projects, not the cheapest but always worked.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm 
TDC Member

I am not sure if wiring up a timed supply in parallel with a PIR would work. But that would seem to be the way, or better still get somebody to make a PCB to do what you wish. But in reality I think it is more complicated.
Best have a word with the management, explain it is not possible to have timer then going on to a PIR etc, and the obvious answer is a PIR only (or microwave, just installed a couple and the are much better than PIR) OR have some lights on timers, and other lights on sensors. But that is doubling up and a bit untidy.