The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:14 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Here's a thought, does this now prevent DVLA disclosing information to the likes of parking companies based on car registration plates without the owners' permissions?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 am 
TDC Member

No actual knowledge, but I bet "registered" companies that fulfil requirements about data security will still get he info, but it will tighten things up on smaller "iffy" contractors.

What I find more interesting is that case a few weeks ago about a food delivery driver harassing a client with phonecalls/texts. The parent company appeared to be wiggling on that one, but where they give sub-contractors contact info, they must still hold responsibilty.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:58 am 
TDC Member

I think Article 6 would apply, processing being necessary for compliance with a legal obligation does not require consent. Never thought my career in IT would mean that I would have spent the best part of 2 years on PCI DSS and the last year on GDPR as well. :(

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
No actual knowledge, but I bet "registered" companies that fulfil requirements about data security will still get he info, but it will tighten things up on smaller "iffy" contractors.

What I find more interesting is that case a few weeks ago about a food delivery driver harassing a client with phonecalls/texts. The parent company appeared to be wiggling on that one, but where they give sub-contractors contact info, they must still hold responsibilty.
In that case the customer gives permission for their information to be given to the delivery driver so Deliveroo hadn't done anything wrong, the fault lies with the delivery driver who should only use the info for the purpose of delivering and then should delete the information if its held on a device or securely destroy it if on paper. there was a case a while ago where a large pizza chain through all the customer print outs in the general waste bin, iirc they got fined a very large amount.

As for 'parking fines' (yes I know they aren't fines) I suspect that they get around it by the fact that when you enter a car park you are entering into their contract which states they will get your info from DVLA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:02 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

In that case the customer gives permission for their information to be given to the delivery driver so Deliveroo hadn't done anything wrong, the fault lies with the delivery driver who should only use the info for the purpose of delivering and then should delete the information if its held on a device or securely destroy it if on paper. there was a case a while ago where a large pizza chain through all the customer print outs in the general waste bin, iirc they got fined a very large amount.

As for 'parking fines' (yes I know they aren't fines) I suspect that they get around it by the fact that when you enter a car park you are entering into their contract which states they will get your info from DVLA.
Interesting one. However, the company has some responsibility to take steps that the driver (more likely irritating scroat on a scooter) does not keep the customers number on their own phone. Maybe the company needs to supply their staff with mobile phones during shifts, which would make sense. At any rate the complaint needed to be taken seriously. Maybe all those riders/drivers need a DBS checks, if they are being given client details. Good way to find victims for burglary or as in this case, unwanted attention.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 pm 

The big problem with DBS checks is that there are varying levels of checks, I have an advanced check as I work with police/ stolen vehicle etc where the lower level checks won't show spent or minor conviction or I you have every been questioned/ interviewed over an incident and of course if it shows a problem if that person has been previously caught so in theory a rapist could still get a job delivering pizza's. there is also the issue of 'human rights' where someone would be refused a job because they were convicted of a minor crime.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:25 am 
TDC Member

I have no idea what the answer is, but companies have to take responsibility for the behaviour of their employees. But many employers, especially who take on casual staff etc, just do virtually no checks at all. If they are then given info covered by data protection, they are left wide open. This is a brave new world, and I think employers have a lot of catching up to do! Many do not understand their obligations and responsibilities.