The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:00 am 
TDC Member

Our double garage door remote function has failed. Had it checked and it is not the remote unit, but the circuit board on the motor unit itself. Bad news they don't have spares anymore, nor can I find anyone to fix it. We have a hard wired push button inside the garage and this still works perfectly. Looking inside this is just a simple push button that momentarily makes contact between two wires connected to the rear of the motor unit. My voltmeter shows 30V between the wires. Pressing the button starts the motor up or down depending on whether it is open or closed.

Is it possible to use an aftermarket trigger with a programmable remote function that will mimic the action of pressing that button and therefore allow remote function? My understanding of electronics is limited to say the least so any advice would be appreciated. Best (only) advice I could find locally was to use this:
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/12-volt-two-wa ... d/p/LR8855
However, even after downloading and studying the manual, I'm not sure if this would be suitable or how I could wire it up given I've only got 30v, not 12v. Location is nowhere near mains outlet so using a 240vAC/12vDC adaptor is impracticable.

Any advice /suggestions from experts on this forum would be much appreciated

Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:35 am 
TDC Member

There are companies in the UK that repair PCBs by replacing components. Have a search on the web to see if you have any near you, the service is usually for industrial stuff but worth a try.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:52 am 
TDC Member

On Ebay they sell remote car central locking kits,why not get one of those and wire the central locking module into the back of the electric door motor

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:53 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi

Funnily enough I'm just about to do exactly the same thing for my mum's door opener. I bought a cheap receiver from ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Switch-Remot ... SwZDxeBPLd) I have bench tested it and it works well and can be configured to give a momentary latch on the relay (although the instructions were totally wrong).

I'm using a step down regulator to bring the supply to the receiver to 12V (DC 4v-38v to 1.25v-36v 2a Step Down Power Supply Regulator). Like one of these (https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/806469670).

They obviously need a bit of simple wiring, and an enclosure, but it mimics the push button switch. The receiver power supply is fed from the local door unit via the regulator (it needs adjusting to give 12V out). Then the receiver relay is wired in parallel with the hard push switch using the C (Common) and NO (Normally Open) contacts.

I haven't actually fitted it yet, maybe this weekend if I can make it over there.

Clive