The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NCB on Classic Ins.
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:01 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Recently had my renewal for the Dolomite and for the first time it had on 2 years NCB. Never seen this before and as they requested a new agreed valuation, I delayed getting back until I had the car reassessed, at a surprising amount. I was about to send this off and discuss another years cover when I got a call from the broker I was with previously asking to quote. They offered a better deal accepting the new valuation subject to them getting pics etc. They then told me I had 2 years NCB. Asked how this was when I had had more than 2 years NCB driving classics. They said some companies don't give classic NCB others do. They obviously had this info on a central database, and by what I could get out of them it didn't make any difference to a quoted figure. They wanted proof of NCB for the Dolomite and for my main car. The daily car was the one they said they took into consideration re getting classic insurance, i.e. there was one, as has always been the case, and all cars had not had any claims in the last five years as normal.
Has any one else got an NCB on their classic ins. and is this possibly the start of them finding a way to charge more if a claim is made, or put the prices up at the start and then discount with NCBs as with daily drivers.

Post subject: Re: NCB on Classic Ins.
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:29 pm 
TDC Member

close to what we have discussed Rob :)

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:59 pm 

Yes Trevor.

I dropped into a dealers just before the last meeting and he said he would put it up at about 6K. I said I thought this was a bit high and nobody in the Triumph Dolomite club would give that much for a 1300 no matter how good it was, or how many shows it had won. I told him I doubted I would get more than £2,500 to £3000 out of an enthusiast. He immediatly offered me £3000 and said he would put it on his own drive very happily for that little.

So I had a proffesional valuation done and he valued it retail at 5K to 6K and said for insurance 5.5K in todays market would be a very fair valuation. I was going to put it up from 3.5K to 4K so you were correct I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA60NwI5e40

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:21 pm 
TDC Member

That's great news Bob, I was looking after your interest. If that car, heaven forbid got wrote off, it needed the right value on it.
Like Roger last year over his Capri, it had doubled in its valuation.

It was not a matter of being right or wrong, I will sleep easy knowing that you have it all covered, see you next meet all being well.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:38 pm 

I have a traders policy so they don't give NCB but in my experience just proving that you haven't made a claim by getting a letter from your broker or insurer will get you a discount if you don't have any NCB or as now everything is on a DB just telling them will do the trick.
some classics insurers, RH are one, do give NCB but that's just to make you think they are giving a discount when you'll get it anyhow.