The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:57 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Anyone tell me what bodywork parts are differant from the tolly to the dolly.
I have worked out the boot and rear lights are not the same but is there anything else differant ie windscreens, trim etc

Cheers :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm 
Asides from the obvious (at the rear end) it depends upon which Dolomite you mean?

The square light Dolomites have a different inner front panel to those with round lights, this also applies to the Toledo of course.

Petrol tank is different - not sure if it's unique to the Toledo or the same as a Triumph 1300 (maybe someone could clarify please) one though?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:28 pm 

cheers for that, does this mean all the windscreens and rubbers are all the same then???

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 pm 

Through reading other posts I am lead to believe that the rear window rubber is different on the Toledo, but i'm not sure if it is just cosmetic (Dolly has a chrome insert Tolly does not) or if size differs aswell.
I've never managed to find out if the rear inner wheel arches differ??

1991 Montego 1.6LX BRG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:41 pm 
My '75 Dolomite 1850 doesn't have a chrome finisher in the rear screen rubber. As far as I am aware it is the same part for both early Dolomites and Toledos. But I am prepaired to be corrected! :lol: :wink:

Post subject: No need..........
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:16 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
My '75 Dolomite 1850 doesn't have a chrome finisher in the rear screen rubber. As far as I am aware it is the same part for both early Dolomites and Toledos. But I am prepaired to be corrected! :lol: :wink:
You are correct Alan. The "no chrome" back windscreen rubber is also common to 1300fwd and 1500fwd.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 am 

Some early Toledos have drum brakes. The 1300 dolomite also has a smaller servo than the larger engined ones with self adjusting brakes, so I assume the Toledo servo will also be different.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:38 am 
Toledos with front drum brakes do not have servos, this was only the very early ones though.
All the glass is the same shape and size but is not Sundym (green tint) the rear rubbers as said do not have the crome trim but you can use the trimmed ones, the front rubber is the same.
the rear wings are different in lengh, and the boot lid is shared with the 1300FWD the tolly has a crome trim across the boot lid and on the early FWDS the TRIUMPH badge was individual letters so the boot lid has a lot of holes to take the letters the tolly just had one long badge, the toledo fuel tank is unique to the tolly due to the lengh and axle tunnel
I think that the bumpers differ with the mountings but dolomite ones can be fitted.
a lot of the exterior trm is different or just not fitted but as the doors are the same dolomite trim can be fitted Im sure that the tollys dont have the crome gutter trim .
front headlights are the same as dolly 1300 and 1500, the grills were the same but some tolly had painted grills.
Most of the engine is the same or interchangable with the 1300 dolly.
Wiper motors are different.
Interior, the tolly has narrow seats shared with the 1300 dolomites and the dash is 'flat plank' as 1300 dolomite, gauges differ as well.door trims share with 1300 dolly as they dont have the wood trim.

Im sure i will think of more later (if you are not bored yet)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:01 pm 
TDC Toledo Registrar

I hope this helps; I have hijacked the previous post, to save me from retyping.

“Toledos with front drum brakes do not have servos, this was only the very early ones though.”

Yup

“All the glass is the same shape and size but is not Sundym (green tint) the rear rubbers as said do not have the crome trim but you can use the trimmed ones, the front rubber is the same.”

The side glass on 2-door cars are totally different. The rear screen rubber is trimless.

“the rear wings are different in length.”

Correct, although the rear wings are almost identical as the 1300FWD, although the rear lamp panels are different.

“and the boot lid is shared with the 1300FWD”

They are slightly different, although nothing that a drill and a welder won't cure. The rear panel is identical.

“The toledo fuel tank is unique to the tolly due to the length and axle tunnel”

Correct. Getting replacements is tricky.

"I think that the bumpers differ with the mountings but dolomite ones can be fitted."

Early cars did not have wrap-around bumpers. The rear bumper’s mountings on the later cars are different to the Dolomite The last 4-door cars (1975 on) have different rear mountings for the centre and different side bumpers, as these positioned the bumper higher up.

"a lot of the exterior trm is different or just not fitted but as the doors are the same dolomite trim can be fitted"

Most of the exterior trim is the same as the Dolomite for the 4-door cars.

“Im sure that the tollys dont have the crome gutter trim .”

Toledos do not have the chrome gutter trim, apart from the post-facelift 1975-on cars.

"front headlights are the same as dolly 1300 and 1500, the grills were the same but some tolly had painted grills."

Toledos had sealed-beam lamps when new, as did the very early 1300/1500 Dolomites but the later Dolomites had Unipart replacement bulbs

Early Toledos had 2-piece aluminium grills that were riveted to the body. From 1971 or so, these changed to painted silver plastic grills. From the post 1975 facelift cars, they were black with silver slats.

"Most of the engine is the same or interchangeable with the 1300 dolly."

The engine is the same. The gearbox / prop is not.

Wiper motors are different.
Single speed delco motors were fitted up to late 1972. Twin speed Delco units from 1973. Unipart Dolomite-type motor fitted to the post-facelift cars from 1975.

“Interior, the tolly has narrow seats shared with the 1300 dolomites”

2-door Toledos have unique seats. 4-door Toledos have different seats to the Dolly 1300 and reclining seats were optional. Post facelift 1975 Toledos had same reclining vinyl seats as Dolly 1300 (headrests were optional though) and some late Toledos had the optional nylon trim specified, which was not standardised on the 1300 Dolomite until 1978.

and the dash is 'flat plank' as 1300 dolomite

The dash is similar but from 1970-1975, one type of fascia was fitted. From the 1975 facelift model, Dolomite style clocks were fitted and their positions were switched. Also, hazard warning lamps were added. 1300 Dolomites shared the same layout, although a few switches were omitted, as the lights and wiper controls were on the steering column.

Door trims share with 1300 dolly as they dont have the wood trim.
Correct (4-door only)

Also, here are my additions – what is different from a Toledo compared with the Dolomite 1300/1500:

Different type of carpets used (Dolomites used more robust material)
No seatbelt warning lamp until 1975 facelift.
Different coil.
Different tailpipe to Dolomite 1300
Short bumpers on early 2-door car with unique plastic underriders.
Different wiring
Different steering wheel
Different parcel shelf (no speaker)
Twin horns (Dolomite 1300/1500 only had one)
Reversing lamps different and optional up to facelift 1975 car
Heated rear windscreen optional from 1972.
Non-dipping rear view mirror to 1975 (although my 4-door was one of the last built and still does not have the dipping mirror – BL must have missed it out!)
Static seat belts to late 1972.
Different distributor up to 1975.
Different wheels used (apart from the earliest cars, 4J wheels were fitted to the Toledo, 4.5J to the Dolomite 1300)
Different front springs and dampers.
No anti-roll bars on the Toledo.
Laminated windscreen was optional from 1974.
Fixed jet carb. External spring on throttle return deleted on Dolomite.

Obviously, the Toledo shared some of the changes that occurred around 1975(ish) when the 1500TC and the Dolomite ranges were facelifted. Toledos always were fitted with the small BL “flying ar*ehole” badges on both front wings. For the post 1975 cars, only one was fitted, to the nearside wing (as with the 1500TC and Dolomite of the time). Some late Toledos also received black windscreen wiper arms (as did some Dolomites, built in 1975).

Should you put one of the first Toledos alongside one of the last, very little is the same. I am getting more and more people calling me asking why certain parts will not fit their car. The TDC will be launching a Toledo Spares section, run by the Triumph Toledo Register, to help members restoring their cars find the right bit.

Anyone still awake?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:58 pm 

I've never used the quote bit before so here goes... Forgive me if i mess it up!! lol :?
Quote:
Anyone still awake?
I dunno, I'm quite enjoying this thread!
Quote:
Correct. Getting replacements is tricky.
I was lucky then, Ididn't struggle when I needed one, I got mine from Wins & Co they posted it out to me within the week!
Quote:
Different tailpipe to Dolomite 1300
I had an idea that the very early Toledo's had a different tailpipe to the later ones :?:
Quote:
Should you put one of the first Toledos alongside one of the last, very little is the same. I am getting more and more people calling me asking why certain parts will not fit their car. The TDC will be launching a Toledo Spares section, run by the Triumph Toledo Register, to help members restoring their cars find the right bit.
I think this is a fantastic idea!! Thank you!! :D

Last of all... is the inner rear wheel arch interchangeable?

Rambling over! :)

1991 Montego 1.6LX BRG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 pm 
TDC Toledo Registrar

Hi Ian,
The inner wheel arches are interchangeable.

Several types of tailpipe were fitted to the Toledo but they are interchangable. I have an early expansion tube("rorty") silencer fitted to my 74 and 76 Toledos!

R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 pm 

Lovely, Thanks for that :D .

I didn't know what the tailpipe was called but I think that's what's on mine.... All I can describe it as looking like someone has welded a scafolding pole to the back of the exhaust!!
I thought for a while that might have been the case ( :roll: ) until I started to study pictures in a bit more detail!
Silly me!!

1991 Montego 1.6LX BRG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:06 pm 
Just to pick on a small point mentioned by 'triumphtoledo' who said 'Toledos had sealed-beam lamps when new, as did the very early 1300/1500 Dolomites but the later Dolomites had Unipart replacement bulbs'

There is no such thing as a very early dolomite 1300 or 1500, the first dolomite 13/1500 hit the showrooms in 1976 and were all fitted with bulbed headlights.

The rear brakes also differ, tollys had manual adjustment and therfore different shoes and slaves etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:32 am 
TDC Toledo Registrar

Quote:
There is no such thing as a very early dolomite 1300 or 1500, the first dolomite 13/1500 hit the showrooms in 1976 and were all fitted with bulbed headlights.
Sorry J but some of the early 1300/1500 Dollies (as in the 1976ish cars) did have sealed-beam lamps. The 1300/1500 brochure illustrated both types fitted. Also, early 1300/1500 models do have the larger 1500FWD/TC type of steering wheel and the 1300 has vinyl seats, prior to benefitting from cloth from around late '77.

Also, the rear manual adjusting brakes of the Toledo are the same on the Dolomite 1300. The Dolomite 1500 only had auto adjus.

R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 am 

And my W plate 1300 came to me with 4J wheels too...
Since replaced of course along with the cheap fascia and narrow seats....:-)

I wish I'd been in charge of the ranges....

Here is how it would have gone if it had been me...

Keep the 1500 fwd...

Toledo....available in 1300 pov spec, largely as is, 2 and 4 door
Toledo SE.... tartier seats and the proper dash, 1500 twin carb engine, optional overdrive and 4 door only, auto option
Toledo SR...2 door only, but as SE but with TR7 8 Valve engine, 3.45 Sprint diff and box or maybe 5 speed box, auto option

Dolomite would just be 1850 and Sprint. No auto Sprint though cos its too low geared.
I would also maybe add a dolomite SR with the TR7 engine and 5 speed box or maybe Sprint box and diff.

What do you think about the 2 door long tailed combo? Would you do that as a doly SR or Sprint or all of them? I can't decide.

We can make them all ourselves easilly enough but it would have been nice if BL had made them.

Jonners