The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:56 pm 
Hi i just joined this forum and really want to get a dolly, My plan is to buy a 1850 and use its body shell and other parts the same and use a sprint sub chassis, engine gearbox etc.

I think it will work out cheaper as i've seen some pretty good 1850 going a lot cheaper than rotton sprints. Would this work? Or are there differences between the body shells?

Thanks, hopefully not a stupid question :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:06 pm 
It isn't a stupid question and the answer, sadly, is that yes, the shell is the same, but an 1850 with Sprint running gear won't ever be a Sprint so nor will it then have the value of one. Also, the Sprint that donates the bits is then lost as a complete car.

OK, so you will find the subframe, axle, 140mph speedometer and other Sprint bits without having to break a Sprint yourself, so the job could be done that way and yes, a properly converted car will be a Sprint in all but its identity, so same bang for fewer bucks if you like.
Conversely, it'll always be a modified car and as such will cost more to insure.

You could of course start with a 1500HL shell, then you'd have no need to use an 1850. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:07 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Doable with not too much effort, but you could save a sprint with about the same amount of time/

If you decide to pursue this approach you will need:

Speedo
Engine with mounts
Subframe
Zorst
Box
Rear Axle
Tunnel
Carpets (well tunnel one anyway)
Speedo
bias valve

If you buy a semi rotten sprint you will need

Mig welder
wire
metal
time

I reckon option 2 is a better option... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:35 am 
TDC Member

Let's face it, it's an old British car, you are going to need to do option 2 at some point. Might as well be sooner than later. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:50 pm 
TDC Member

Just buy a cheap Sprint and restore that, an 1850 (and yes JPB, even a 1500HL! :rasp: :lol: ) are worthy cars in their own right, so would be a real shame to lose one for yet another Sprint reshell :fingerwag:

By the time you've bought a decent donor car, and all the bits to convert it, you are probably into the lower end of Sprint money anyway :)

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 pm 

I agree...
I am in the process of doing a sprint reshell but its taking ages mainly cos it so far away. I used a 1300 with a shot clutch a s the body donor and the Sprint was really terminally rotten...and was 2 halves welded together anyway which we found out when we stripped it down...

Only worth while if you have all the bits. If you have a good 1850 then keep it that way. A 1500 HL makes a better donor because the engine will probably be on the way out, but then thats just my take and plenty of folks on here like the 1500HL as it is as well...

You can get a worthwhile Sprint project for less than a grand...thre is a worthy looking yellow one that keeps being advertised on ebay in Wales...

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:47 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I have a Sprint you can have for less than a grand. Its not rotten; when I stopped driving it needed a patch on the drivers footwell (only because the drain hole has enlarged due to my metal tipped heels) a new indicator stalk, front tie bar bushes for the MOT and a damn good polish because its Carmine. Possibly needs new tyres now for ultimate safety, its sat on two flat too long.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:26 pm 
Quote:
my metal tipped heels.
:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:13 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
my metal tipped heels.
:shock:
I'm guessing Blakey's segs?

...but will confess to being a little curious about that myself. :lol: