The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01 pm 
Hi Everyone, :bluewave:

I have been looking into getting a Dolomite for quite a while and a couple of months ago a friend of a friends mum had one. I went to see it and fell in love with it straight away. It cost me a box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers which I was very pleased with and I can’t thank the previous owner enough for letting me take on the car.

I am 17 in February next year and am hoping to have the car going and ready to drive by then.

It’s what I believe is 1500HL (AUTO), Sandglow Brown, with chocolate brown interior. It has some rust issues which can easily be sorted in the future. So far I have (with occasional help from my dad):

- Thoroughly cleaned the car inside and out including a T-cut and Polish which has brought back the colour better than expected.

- Removed and emptied the fuel tank.

- Removed and cleaned fuel pump.

- Stripped down the front and rear brakes, also removing the master cylinder.

Until I can afford to replace brake cylinders, callipers, master cylinder and servo I intend to do some cosmetic work filling and painting with spray cans … I cringe at the thought of having to put filler on the car but I have no choice until I can afford to get it done properly. Also with help I’d like to strip down the front bearing and pack with new grease … does anyone have any tips for this?

I hope my introduction hasn’t been too boring and I hope the little knowledge I have gained so far on the Dolomite may be useful to someone some day.

I’d like to put some pictures of it on here, but I’m not sure how. Could someone give me some guidance if possible?

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 pm 
Hi Michael, good to have you with us :thumbsup:.

Lot's of (free) advice to be had here - everything from front hubs to image posting. You watch someone(s) will be along to tell you how to do both real soon. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:52 pm 
Welcome Michael, great choice for a first car. :)
Take pictures of everything you do, before during and after, and keep all the receipts for the parts you buy. Hopefully seal kits will be all that's needed for your calipers, if not then I think the club do reconditioned calipers. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 pm 
Howdy and welcome, Im pleased to hear you have opted to go for a proper dolomite and none of that over rated 2 litre stuff :D

Sandglow is a dark yellow colour and not to everyonens taste, I have a sandglow 1300 dolomite and did have untill recently a 1500HL in sandglow, if its a HL (HL means Highline) it will have four round headlights! the 1500s that were not HL ( I have two of them, one a auto) had square headlights, differents dashes and narrower front seats.

Image posting, I use a site called imageshack, easy to use, others have their own personal choice of upload sites its all down to what one you feel happier with.

Front bearings is a easy job, buy yourself a factory workshop manual or Haynes manual there are plenty of them about on ebay etc.

Car filler, dont worry yourself about using filler if done properly it should last for years.

Good luck with the car and dont be scared to ask questions on here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:19 pm 
Hi Michael and welcome.

Good choice of car and congrats on attempting the work.

As said above, all advice and support is here. Where are you and your car located?

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:07 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi Michael, Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you are making good progress with the car. It would be great to see some pictures of it.
I stick my pictures on Photobucket and then paste the Direct Link using the Img button that appears above the reply box.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 pm 
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am located in Holbeach which is near Spalding in Lincolnshire and the car is about 20 mins away in a warehouse near Boston where my dad keeps his buses.

Here are some pictures of the car ... I think as I've not uploaded photos before.

I'll post some more pictures next week of the mechanics i.e engine bay and brake overhaul etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:47 pm 
TDC Member

Love the tow car. I still miss my P4.

Nice looking Dolly btw.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 pm 
Its a friends car, he doesn't have any modern cars at all... solely relies on classics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:27 pm 
Wow polished up well didn't she!?! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:17 pm 
Quote:
Its a friends car, he doesn't have any modern cars at all... solely relies on classics.
Wise fella! A genuinely eco-friendly way to get about and plenty of fun too, win all round I'd say. Yes, that P4 looks great there, I've never owned one of those but a 105R is on the long-term wish list.. :eyes4u:
Sorry, forgot to say welcome along to the forum. The Dolomite looks to have great potential and is so much more tasteful than the typical first car choices of today's throwaway society.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:38 pm 

Holbeach eh? Just near to Roy and not far from Mr X, both useful folk to know in Dollyworld!

Interesting blend of older and newer bits there... older rear bumper, BL badges on the front wings, early badges on the bootlid.

Sandglow is second only to Carmine when it comes to the transformation between before and after polishing photographs. Love that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:46 pm 

Having just looked out the window. I feel bad, must polish cars more.
Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:47 am 
Ohhh, shiney red bus :eyes4u:

Oli, you need to straighten your car before you satrt to polish it :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:32 am 

:oops:
True.