The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:24 pm 
Had a closer look this evening and i can see where the cam breather goes and where there's a neat spot to drill and tap and pop a barb in for the brake servo.

What do people do for the dizzy vac take off? will a straight mani vac suffice, or does it need to be 'ported'?

It's all sat stripped down in a bucket of various household chemicals stripping the grime and crud off.
Only thing thats a bit odd is that one carb has a fixed needle and one is sprung. Bar that, one carb is missing the spring from inside the chamber, but it'll be rait.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:58 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Dissy vac take off is usually on the carb by the butterfly. Its also quite small.. does your carb set not have one?

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:08 pm 
No, not on these. Might just get them cleaned up and bung em back on ebay.

Then again, what are the real world changes going to be? ported or manifold vacuum are the same at anything other than idle, so I take it it's only the timing that'll be any different, ie. retarded. Would a tweak on the idle screw combat this, albeit costing a few emissions points at MOT time? Or would it idle like complete and utter rubbish?

Or should I try and drill and tap a ported takeoff with the bench

Edit: Actually, my head hurts now. Manifold vac will be higher than ported at idle, so more advance, so higher engine speed.... Will the problem be not getting idle low enough?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:22 pm 
Or will it just need more choke from cold? Will it be a complete bugger when cold?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:23 am 
TDC Events Officer

It should be fine - the ignition will be advanced a bit from where it would normally be at idle, so the idle speed would be higher. Dropping the idle speed on the carb shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I don't think any triumph was supplied with the 1300 engine and manifold vacuum. You'll just have to "suck it and see", to coin a phrase. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:25 am 
This manifold has 2 blanked off manifold ports, that I'll need to drill and tap. Got the air fittings, just need suitable tap as my set doesn't go large enough.