The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:32 am 
Hey guys,

I was going through the repair manuals I got with my Sprint and they only had the bare essentials in terms of maintenance intervals, I was wondering how often/at what mileage should the following be checked/replaced:

Timing Chain
The filter in the O/D unit
Clutch and Brake Fluid
Spark Plugs
Valve clearances
Cylinder Head torqued

My car just hit 40000 miles since the motor was rebuilt and I want to make sure if I'm due for something as I'm planning a road trip to Montreal and back to Brooklyn.
Also, I was going to put on new rubber fuel hoses throughout the fuel line and was wondering if someone knew what size hoses to buy?
Thanks and cheers,
Lukasz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:15 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

377 miles each way apparently, I expected that to be a lot longer!
Just for peace of mind, I'd personally check everything before leaving, better to find out at home than 200 odd miles away.

I'm no expert, not by any sense of the word, but this is what I'd do;

Clutch and brake fluid iirc is a replace every couple of years thing, plugs I'd check when you change the oil as it's only a few minutes to do, valve clearences I'd do every couple of oil changes or as soon as they start to get noisy.

And the bits I'm not sure about;
Iirc timing chains can go on a very long time, but it'd be worth having a look at it before this journey, definitely re-torque the head before this trip but I don't know mileages where people usually do it and the O/D filter, pass, I don't have O/D so I'm not sure how much of a pain it is to get too. But again, better to be sure.

Fuel hose size, pass, can you not take an old one with you for comparison?

Like I said, I'm no expert, but that's my take on it.

Oli.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:56 am 

Okay a head retorque may not be a bad idea, but there are different schools of thought on ths. In my own case my Sprint has done some 60k miles
since a major rebuild and only 1 head retorque at 1k miles after settling.

Valve clearances should not need changing. They should be set once for life. If they are changing then there is a problem somewhere. By all means check them but only worry if they are a lot less than they should be, which would mean valve seat recession. Unlikely on a Sprint and should only be on the exhaust valves.

The timing chains on these are good for 80k miles. Only fix if they ratlle. They normally give plenty of warning.

By all means clean out your overdrive filter but I dont bother unless engagement is a problem. Its a messy job and you have to drop the whole cross member.

Brake fluid is a 2 year change. If in doubt change it and check all rubber hoses. Use a vacuum bleeder to be kind to your master cylinder seals. Clutch fluid I wouldn't bother...just make sure you arent loosing any.

I have Bosch platinum plugs in mine and they have lasted 50k miles and are still good. You could source NGK iridium ones and they should do the same job. I can't find Bosch platinums any more...

I think the rubbers from tank to pump are 5/16 bore and the ones on the carbs are 1/4 but I cant be certain. Whatever fits with a minor stretch will work. I ususally soften the hose in a little hot water and reuse the springy clips. Fuel hose here is of variable quality and doesnt last anything like as long as the original did.
Jonners