The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Brake Fluid
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:58 pm 
The brake fluid is quite low on my new Sprint. Can this just be topped up, if so what brake fluid should I use?
Would it be better to replace all the fluid (I've no idea when this was last done)? Is this an easy job for a novice or should I get an expert to do it?

Post subject: Re: Brake Fluid
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:02 pm 
The fluid was changed less that a year ago, regular dot 4.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:07 pm 
Don't worry about the level being low, the relatively small volume of the reservoir on Dolomites means that each 0.5mm of pad wear equates to a drop of more than three times that in the visible level (these are the volumes for single circuit cars, but yours probably has dual circuit brakes, the principle still applies though, but I haven't worked out what the drop in level will be in that case).
Unless there's an external leak (and do check for signs of that before deciding not to top up), then the level will come right back up again when you next put a set of new pads in the front brakes. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:19 pm 
Oh ok, I can see this forum is going to be very useful :)
Quote:
Unless there's an external leak (and do check for signs of that before deciding not to top up)

What should I look out for?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:26 pm 
TDC Events Officer

A puddle on the floor! :D

That'll be the case at the front at least. A leaking rear cylinder can leak but the leak will be hidden inside the drum. You'll need to remove the drum to look at that (not a huge job).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:37 pm 
TDC Member

If you're able to lift the car, remove the wheels and let someone press the pedal firmly. You'll check all connections from front to back at leakage. This way I found a small leak and could simply turn a connection a bit tighter to solve the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:58 pm 
TDC Member

It could be that your brake master cylinder is leaking if this is the problem you will find hydraulic fluid running down the outside of the brake servo unit just below the brake master cylinder. I have had a number fail over the years but it is simple task to replace the seals if the bore is not damaged.