The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rust treatment
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm 
I have been cracking on with getting the HO cleaned up , there is surface rust in a few places , I have been researching treatments . what does anyone advise . I looked at rust.co.uk and was thinking about the system they use , wire brush , wash with a degreaser , treat rust, apply 2 pack sealer ?

I intend to treat the whole under side over the next week and need to decide which method to use in order to order the products in.

Post subject: Re: Rust treatment
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:04 pm 
I do this:

Remove everything in sight with a knotted wire brush on Mr. Grinder.

Go over this with a DA or one of those foam sanding pads.

Wipe over with a tack cloth and then panel wipe.

Wipe over with Kurust and let it dry.

Fill anything that needs filling. Sand down until lovely and smooth.

If in an area that will take some punishment I give it a couple of coats of red oxide. Let it harden fully and lightly sand. A couple of coats of anti-stone chip paint, then ordinary primer and a couple of coats of body colour.

Ordinary areas: Spray with etch primer, lightly sand. 2 or 3 coats of spray filler/primer. Light dusting of matt black paint as a guide coat, let it dry and lightly sand until all gone, taking note of any lows. Coat of ordinary primer, lightly key and then several coats of body colour.

It's just a general guide which works for me. Everyone has their own way of doing it. Good luck.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:07 pm 
I'd always say wire brush it until it's shiny.

I wouldn't trust any chemical to remove all of the rust completely....and the only way you'll know it has is by wire brushing it anyway.

There is one way to look at rust though. if no air can get to it, it won't develop further. So if you do leave a bit there and the paint keeps it perfectly sealed in, you're unlikely to have a problem.

The problem is, in some situations the paint just doesn't stay put long enough and often rust makes the metal porous to the other side of the panel pretty quickly. So just pop a wire brush on the angle grinder and keep going until you smell your fingers buuuuurn! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:19 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

I've just submitted an article to the club mag about rustproofing and as part of my conversations with Rust.co.uk I have negociated a deal of 10% off. However this is for Club members only! Details in the next DM or soon to be in 'members only' section.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30