The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:53 pm 
Hey everyone!!

A few may recall me taking on a project car from a friend last year sometime (the car in my avatar). Unfortunately, it's a bit too adventurous for me so has been left standing for the time being.

However, i've been keeping an eye open for another one, which won't need quite so much work done on it. A bit of ebay searching showed up a likely candidate, which i promptly did a 6 hour round trip to view and bought soon after.

Now, it's not completely straight forward. The car is a non-runner due to two main problems. One, there is no spark (but not because of the disconnected battery in the pics). Two, the clutch appears to be seized or at least lacking in fluid. But other than that, everything else is seemingly ok.

But all that can be for a later post, for there are pictures. Which i know everyone loves. So here they are:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:05 am 
Nice! :eyes4u:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:55 am 
Loads of potential. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm 
TDC Member

Excellent, looks like an easy project 8)

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 pm 
Nice looking car, good luck with it.

Oh, and welcome to club russett! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:40 pm 
Been poking around with it again today...and got it started!! All it was in the end was one of the leads going to the coil needed the connector cleaning up. So yeah...the car lives, but it's hardly running smoothly. I'll let a quick vid do the work...

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/ ... EO0022.mp4

Also managed to get the cap off of the clutch master cylinder. Unfortunately, whatever fluid may have been in there appears to have crystallized. Which is annoying. So this will be my next main thing to sort out, along with smoothing out the engines running.

P.S. Could this thread be moved to the Restoration Section? Was going to create a new thread there to keep a running log of progress, but would seem to make more sense to move this one and continue here. Ta!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:34 pm 
Looks very tidy indeed. Well done for getting it started. Figure on a new clutch master and slave cylinder and hose too. Not major stuff at all really.

Look forward to more updates.

All the best.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 pm 
Nice straight car well done :D
Scott

Post subject: Yes.....................
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:35 pm 
TDC Member

Your 1850HL certainly has potential, but it has been standing for a long long time.

The brakes will need a complete overhaul.
The cooling system needs new hoses and clips along with flushing out and replacement coolant.
You already know about the clutch hydraulics (hopefully clutch driven plate is not stuck to flywheel).
The electrics will need examination/cleaning up.
Tyres?

The above is on top of a full service.

Please take one step at a time and bear in mind that advice is easily available on this here forum.
Good luck and please keep us updated.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:43 pm 
I think the clutch is going to be my main focus for the moment. Is it actually possible to flush the system in situ? Or would i be better off removing the cylinders? The main thing i want to find out is if the thing has actually seized, as that will then let me know whether to start looking out for replacement bits, along with the prospect of more work than i'd probably be capable of doing myself.

So if it can be flushed, would this basically be the same procedure as bleeding the system, but allowing the fluid to just pass through? And what would be the best fluid to use for this?

Also, any advice anyone has on all the other bits i'd need to do would be great. I'm pretty much learning as i go, so kinda steep learning curves, but thoroughly rewarding when things happen!

Post subject: Jimmy......
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 am 
TDC Member

At the risk of sounding rather negative, from my experience
I think you will be wasting your time trying to reuse your clutch master and slave cylinders.

A T2000 or Dolomite Sprint 7/8" bore (check this dimension on any replacement) slave cylinder can be used
on an 1850. This type are easily available and more reasonably priced (c.£25) than the Vitesse type fitted to
some 1850s.

Please fit a new clutch hose too.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:52 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I second what Ian has said. Just replace all the clutch hydraulics for total peace of mind. It isn't such a difficult job and the worst part is getting to the slave cylinder as it is a bit cramped between the gearbox and transmission tunnel.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:31 pm 

I'd take the whole master and slave and pipe assembly off in one go, then you can strip them down and have a look.
Rusty pistons and scored bores mean the end of the road, but if it all looks good after a clean up then there is no reason
why a couple of repair kits wont see it all working again for a few quid and some elbow grease.

I have many happy cars running around on original cylinders that most mechanics would have thrown away.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:18 pm 
Well, a quick update. Starting to go through the process of stripping the two clutch cylinders, though having trouble getting the master cylinder out at the mo. Got the nuts off ok, but it doesn't seem to want to seem to come off (yes, i've already disconnected it from the pedal). So that's come to a bit of a standstill, especially while it's still raining on and off. Spraying it with GT85 to try and help loosen it so will find out on Monday if that's helped.

Managed to get all rear lights working properly, though was a bit shocked at the wiring on the rear lights. Scotch locks.....everywhere! But all additional wires have been cut :?

Also found some rust :(. Pulled the front drivers carpets up and discovered that it's a bit damp and caused some of the metal underneath to go rusty. Nothing serious though and luckily it's not on the actual floor.

Other than that, got new hoses and stuff to replace the old ones so will be doing them while trying to get the master cylinder out. Any tips on that?

And to finish, a few pics of said problem areas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:15 pm 
Scotchloks - Bah! :x

I wonder if it had a tow bar fitted at some point then?