The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 am 
If I could convince my good wife that taking a transfer up to 'Ull would be a good idea Leeds wouldn't be too bad (although if my Grandad found out I was regularly heading West he'd spin around in his grave like an angry spinny thing) plus it would mean I wouldn't have to travel abroad so much....

But as it stands Leeds is a tad too far and there ain't much round here; not sure if it's the M4/M40 corridor but most things seem to be geared towards IT rather than getting your hands dirty?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
A few years ago we were having a shower installed, and the plumber insisted that he'd have to fit new, bigger pipes as it was more powerful than the previous shower - Grandad explained to him that it made no difference - and half an hour of arguing later the plumber left and we never saw him again; and Grandad installed the shower!

Can't pull the wool over his eyes :mrgreen:

I hate to shatter an illusion here, but the plumber was correct. The issue is the difference between pressure and volume of delivery. Pressure in a system remains constant, but that means the smaller the pipe the less water delivered over a set time. Modern showers often have integral pumps which require a greater volume of supply and a 15 mm standard pipe may not be sufficient for optimum performance of the shower. When adding new showers or even specifying new build I will strive to get 22 mm all the way to the shower, or failing that with pumped showers I have installed separate header tanks locally to the shower so that it has its own 'reservoir' supply. The principle is the same as an old furred up iron supply pipe that has more than adequate pressure, but supplies naught but a trickle due to constricted volume. The shower installed by 'gramps' may well be working, but it would likely have relatively enhanced performance if it had increased supply volume. You may find its performance is altered if water is drawn elsewhere in the house at the same time? The plumber gave sound advice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:53 pm 
So Maggie my little green Toledo has moved on and taken ownership of a new person who like me fell in love with her at first sight, I can't believe how infecteous these little cars are and I'm sure her new owner will love her as much I have. Maggie may have been my first Triumph but I'm convinced she won't be my last. Her new man is from Essex and I've urged him to join the forum here at the very least.

It's a sad day for me but depending on how work pans out I hope to return to the fold as soon as possible, the question will be can see past the funny rear lights and make the step up to a Dolomite?