The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New blood to the cause
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:00 pm 
Evening all, I've been an admirer of Triumphs for sometime, there's a guy on parents road who for as long as I can remember has owned various models and my interest has developed as a result of his cars I guess. Now I've pee'd the wife off and bought myself a fairly sound Toledo, she's a great car and drives well nowhere near perfect bodywise....need to tackle some rust on the front wings. More worryingly the oil light remains on, there's no oil leaks or strange noises under the bonet so I'm hoping it's not too much of an issue? Any advice regarding the Toledo from you experienced owners?

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:33 pm 
Welcome to the Forum.
Infectious little cars these Triumphs, be warned that you are unlikely to ever really grow out of them!
I can't really offer any advice about the oil light but someone on here will be able to. We like pics so don't be shy in showing off your car.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:47 pm 
Cheers for the welcome, always been slightly addicted to Triumphs and elderly motors in general much more character than thier modern plasticy peers. The first car I took for a test drive was a 1300 TC but it's condition scared the pants off me-she needed more than work than I could manage. I'll get some pics up tomorrow she probably won't impress the aficionados but I'm taken by her....well until oil leaks everywhere and she starts coughing out smoke.

Last edited by Nobleox_Toledo on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:53 pm 
Oil light.... I seem to remember something like that on one of my cars, damned if I can remember which one. The cure seemed to be an oil and filter change with a good slurp of STP included. Be sure to use the correct oil filter with the non-return valve GFE 150 IIRC. No doubt someone will be along shortly who will either confirm that or offer the correct details. There are various recommendations re: oil, so have a good root round the postings. More technical support will also be along shortly too. I am in no way an expert on things mechanical. Interiors are more my thing.

Toledo's are great cars, I've owned 3, some for longer periods of time than others. Good choice of first Triumph!

Whoops, welcome by the way and just a gentle hint: WE LIKE PICTURES :lol:

All the best.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:23 pm 
Yeah I've skimmed through some of the other posts reagrding oil lights which is why I'm fairly optomistic it isn't too much of a problem. I will get some pictures up and I'm going to try and get involved with any local area stuff/meets/events once in the HIgh Wycombe area.

Cheers for the welcome Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 am 
Welcome - good choice of car. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:49 pm 
Cheers Stan, here are some pictographs of the motor enjoy the artistic portrayal of the 'rusty crack' on the wing.
Attachment:
2011_06091139.JPG
2011_06091139.JPG [ 281.72 KiB | Viewed 4064 times ]
Attachment:
2011_06091136.JPG
2011_06091136.JPG [ 270.71 KiB | Viewed 4061 times ]
Attachment:
2011_06091139.JPG
2011_06091139.JPG [ 281.72 KiB | Viewed 4064 times ]

Attachments:
2011_06091137.JPG
2011_06091137.JPG [ 211.63 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:47 pm 
TDC Member

If it aint rattling, change the oil pressure switch, they do fail, and fail safe (light on)

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:39 pm 
No rattling yet, although I could just be pretending she doesn't rattle. Has anyone got any advice for the rust on the wing, I'm planning on just sanding it all down treating the rust before patching it up and priming and painting. But any advice or tips would be warmly recieved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
No rattling yet, although I could just be pretending she doesn't rattle. Has anyone got any advice for the rust on the wing, I'm planning on just sanding it all down treating the rust before patching it up and priming and painting. But any advice or tips would be warmly recieved.
Check the pressure switch, and the wire. Much easier than rebuilding the bottom end first. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:54 pm 
:? I've only ever known pressure switches fail open, so without the light coming up at all. But then the two I've had do that this year alone both failed as a result of my using the steam cleaner on the engine and not remembering to seal the switch off.

I'd still agree that it's most likely the switch, but I'm at a loss to grasp quite how it could fail short as it must have done to leave the light up, only a blockage behind the valve that opens the switch could do that and that would suggest that there's a foreign body in there somewhere.

Maybe dress up as a Border Agency official and see if that'll scare it out? :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:50 pm 
I'll have a look at the oil switch this weekend, I've got the in-laws round all weekend so it'll give me a good excuse to stay out of the house.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:03 am 
what a cracking looking car, great finish on that paintwork. Well bought.
Quote:
I'll get some pics up tomorrow she probably won't impress the aficionados but I'm taken by her....well until oil leaks everywhere and she starts coughing out smoke.
everyone likes looking at these cars, in every imaginable kind of condition.

did the car come with the back parcel shelf hat ? very nice touch, looks very smart :)

welcome to the forums.

stu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:04 am 
The hat is an addition I made, it was sitting around indoors collecting dust and I thought it would suit the rear parcel shelf quite well. I've got a question that I hope someone will be able to answer, while I was looking at he oil switch I noticed a small leak from the fuel line from the pump to the carb. Can anyone tell me what type of piping I need to replace it? the leak is at the point where the line meets the pump so maybe a new holding fixture would fix the problem? Sorry for being a 'no-nowt' idiot.

James

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:51 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Sorry to say that crack on the front wing looks like a big slug of filler lifting itself out of an historic dent.

Dig it out, de rust beneath with jenolite and refil is the sensible answer, or I could do you a nice new grp wing for £90