The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 pm 
Hi List,

As I'm currently looking for a Dolly 1300 or 1500, can anyone advise me if I'm being realistic at what to expect for around 900 pounds?

I thought I would be able to get a near rust free (expecting a few bubbles but no major attention needed), solid underneath and ok interior car, but have been really struggling to find one for the budget....

Any advice would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 pm 
Welcome to the forum

Personally I think you are slightly off the mark,add a couple of hundred and yo should one that need little work just to tidy it.
There is a nice TC auto in north london, have a look at 'Purplebargeken' for sale ad, there is a also a french blue TC in similar condition in Southampton you will have to PM me you email address if you want to see it and that one is not far off your budget but its a long drive south.

Have a look on Autotrader, Ebay, classic car mart etc but bear in mind dealers will bump the price up a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 pm 
Hi 'Sander. My auto is still available and seeing as it's you, we could come to an arrangement somewhere close to your budget. I'd even see about having some more top coat applied if your Mrs is still nipping your head about wanting a car that's all one colour. :lol:

Quicker than a 1300, more economical than a 1500, mechanically stronger than either and you know how solid the old thing is where it counts. :wink: [-o< :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:49 am 
Hi, welcome! That's certainly not an unrealistic price, it's a fair bit more than I paid for my 1300 two months ago - mine had 6 months T&T, solid bodywork and interior, 65k on the clock, the paintwork is pretty patchy but that's about the only real negative about it and it's no big deal. My advice would be to look outside of the usual eBay and Autotrader - they can be good but everyone is looking on there. If you can find one advertised locally, or on one of the other sites (like this one, or Pistonheads, or Car and Classic which is where I found mine) then chances are you'll get a better deal. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:48 pm 
I think there are decent cars out there within your price range, especially if you include Toledos in your search.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C244377

Did Jon Tilson sell his 1300?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:18 pm 
^^^ that one^^^^ has no tax or test!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:41 pm 
Hi All,

Thank you for your replies and advice, it's much appreciated and I'll be joining the TDC this week!

I'm going to Bristol tomorrow to have a look at the Toledo.

I've also just been to look at a 1500 HL auto, SPR744R, that's currently on Ebay, but not sure about the history and previous work done...

Please let me know if any more tips etc!

Many thanks

Sander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:33 pm 
TDC Member

Yes, Welcome to the forum. I paid £865 for my 1850 2 years ago. Full MOT bit of tax. Lovely engine and box. Fine underneath. Needs a bit of paintwork . History file and very good interior. It's an excellent daily driver and the only big item has been a new diff; no real problem there.
Good luck in your search.
Tony