The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:22 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello,

I figured I'd best introduce myself. I'm Rob, I live on the South East coast of Australia and I've just bought my 1st ever Dolomite, a Sprint.
Like the chap in the previous Topic, I too bought it on eBay. It turns out that the car is in very good condition, totally rust free, basically straight and goes like a rat up a drainpipe.
I drove it the 800 kms back home from Melbourne, where it came from, without a single hiccup.

Now that I'm making some adjustments and minor changes to the car, perhaps you could advise me on suitable parts vendors.
So far I have found Rimmers, Quillers and James Paddock in the UK, plus Sprintparts here in OZ.
I feel confident that I should be able to get just about everything I need from these connections, but you folk might be able to advise me on any others.
Also, which are the better to deal with?, who has the best prices?, who has the best service?, etc, etc.
I'm grateful for any info you can give me.

More on me and the Sprint. I used to sell these things back in the mid 70's. Only 620 of them came to Australia and I'm told, less than 150 remain on our roads. Leyland Australia brought them into the country in the hope they would raise the profile of the struggling company in this country, by winning their class at the Bathurst 500. They didnt, but came close. I fell for the Sprints in those days and when I saw this little car for sale, I had a chat to the wife and did the unthinkable, bid good hard earned cash on something that was sight unseen. I had my heart in my mouth for a week after the auction, right up until I started driving it home. Then, I found it was money well spent and started to relax.

Anyway, I look forward to being a member of this forum, drawing on the info and experience I know you folk can give and you never know, I might be able to contribute something too.

Cheers,
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:11 pm 
Welcome to the forum.

Its good to hear these little old cars are still alive and well on the other side of the world

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:20 pm 

Welcome to the forum mate.
There's probably more Sprints down in Oz than there are here in Blighty. :lol:

This very club is another very good source of spare parts, no idea what shipping would cost though.

Post subject: Hello and.......
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:32 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome to the forum.

To your list of suppliers I'd add Wins International, Chris Witor (you need to cross reference
Sprint part numbers against T2000 part nos.) and T.D. Fitchett (who are probably the biggest
dedicated supplier. Given that most of their business is wholesale, they don't have a retail website.)

To make things easier, if I was you, before buying any parts I'd ask about availability on this forum
and the Triumph forums in Australia and take it from there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:23 am 
Hi Rob
I'm in Melbourne and usualy find that rimmers in the UK is good, fair price and good delivery. It"s only usualy help up by the post in customs.

You can get some parts from Vanguard in melbourne 03 97351446
I'm in the middle of putting back a 1976 sprint on the road.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:15 am 
would that be the blue sprint from werribee way Rob ? I watched it go through thinking it was a good buy. I have you on my sprint database from the ebay advert, I'm guessing around 100 sprints left on the road in Oz. I've got 71 listed :)

The other places for triumph enthusiasts are the triumph sports owners associations in each state, who are all pretty active and welcoming of all triumphs and the triumph owners website run by Glen and Garth in Tassie.

welcome along, lots of help and advice here. Some of it hard earned and invaluable.

Newport Motors in Adeliade has a collection of dolomites and parts for wrecking.

stu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 am 

Oli-88, Ashley, Ian, Chris and Stu,
Thanks for the good advice.
Its much appreciated.

Stu,
You're right about it being the car from Weribee. But its BRG, not blue.
I've sent you an email with all the numbers etc for your records.

Once again gents, Thank You.

Cheers,
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:24 am 
awesome, thanks Rob. I often feel like a stalker and I'm reluctant to send ebay messages :) I normally work out who the buyer is from the feedback on ebay.

everyone likes pics here, so be great to see some of the latest sprint at the TDC. Good luck with the car.

stu

<edit>

the car was spotted when it was on ebay by the alert TDC members :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:43 pm 

Once again, Thanks for the good advice gents.

I think you all might get a laugh out of this.
As I mentioned earlier, I used to sell Leyland Australia products in the mid 70's.
I was in my early 20's then, and keen to see one of the companies products do well in Australian motor racing, especially at Bathurst.
I remember that in late 1975 (their 1st year down under) a few Sprints were entered in the 1000 km-er and we were all excited about them doing well in their class.
Some were so excited that they made up elaborate TV commercials stating that the new Dolomite Sprint had won its class in the Bathurst 1000 and stupidly ran those commercials all day while the race was being run. It wasn't even started when the 1st of them was aired.
The company had even more egg on its face when the big hearted Sprints failed to win their class.

Anyway, I will attend to the photos request soon...just watch this space.

Cheers,
Rob