The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:44 am 
Hi All,

After sorting the tuning, replacing the dodgy seatbelts and ordering new weatherstrips all round, my right indicator light has now stopped working!

Left works outside and on the dash, but the right indicator light is stuck on the dashboard light and has stopped working outside.

My wife is is seriously starting to get very unhappy with this little 1500TC and the time and cash I'm (already) spending on it....

Any tips regarding the indicator light before I start?

Have checked my Haynes Manual but nothing specific.

Many thanks

Sander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:42 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Sander. It could simply be a blown indicator bulb. If there isn't enough current being sourced through the flasher unit it doesn't flash. .
As a quick check do all 4 indicator lamps work when the hazard flashers are on ? If not the problem will be bulbs/ connections / and earthing if its at the front. If the hazards all work it'll probably be column stalk / wiring. Bear in mind that a faulty hazard switch ( in its OFF position) can stop both sides indicators from working.
HTH,
Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:03 pm 
Hazards whst are they?
Are you trying them with the engine running?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:10 pm 
TDC Member

Replace the flasher relay and if that doesn't work spray some switch cleaner inside the hazard switch. Servisol is good for that, you can get it from Maplin Electronics.

The rear bulb holders are also get bit iffy over time, but you can dismantle them and clean them up.

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:51 pm 
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

Just a quick update, the light has now come back on although not flashing.

Will have a look at the back earthing to see if that's causing it and will also try the Servisol.

Weatherstrips have arrived but having a nightmare fitting them!!!
Trying the hook/soap/water technique but absolutely no joy.
Will give it another go tomorrow, but let me know if any TDC member in the West MIds is getting bored over the weekend and fancies a go at it!

Many thanks as usual

Sander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:06 pm 
TDC Member

Whenever I've had the lamps just coming on and not flashing a new flasher relay has solved it!

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:29 pm 
As others have said, IF the left all works fine, then check for blown 'bulbs' (lamps, filament for the pedantic) on the right. When you have the lamps out for checking, make sue the holders and contacts are nice and clean and that the contact points of the lamps themselves are not worn away. Another likely culprit is a bad earth from one of the lights.

Please do not get disheartened by this - it can and does happen on all cars, regardless of age. On moderns it will also give multiple expensive red herrings!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:01 am 
Quote:
Replace the flasher relay and if that doesn't work spray some switch cleaner inside the hazard switch. .
Again I ask, Hazards what are they?

(its a 1500TC)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:54 pm 
Sander, don't stress over it. It will most likely be a duff connection, poo earth connection, a bulb or a flasher unit. NOTHING major. Just do as the others have suggested, clean it all up and spray with Servisol (great stuff).

Just be methodical and all will be fine. You are in what might be the best location for assistance from Dolly folks, so as I said DON@T STRESS :lol:

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:31 pm 
Hi All,

Finally fitted the new weatherstrips, have to get some new thumbs though!

Still cleaning up the earth connections, hopefully finish it tomorrow and all should be well.

Thanks again

sander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:33 pm 
P.S.

I was wondering about the hazard light on a TC!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 pm 
Quote:
P.S.

I was wondering about the hazard light on a TC!!!

TC's didn't come out of the box with hazards lights but if you really want to fit them you can buy a kit which is a PITA to fit and will work every time you decide to test and only on the day when you need them they wont work,.
Personally i wouldn't bother as hazards are now only required by law if when parked outside the local shops on yellows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 pm 
Thanks Marty,

I'll try and keep the car as original as possible, so probably won't fit the hazards....

I've cleaned up all the fittings and checked bulbs today but still no joy on the right indicator light, still stuck on.

Only earth I've found are the two cables in the rear left side of the boot, have cleaned this and sprayed, but still no joy.

Looks like fitting new flasher unit...

Many thanks

Sander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:57 pm 
front earths are on the loom behind the valence, black wires going into a black ploastic bullet connector.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:14 pm 
TDC Member

My money is on the earth. I had a similar problem and confirmed this by running a seperate earth wire to a good body contact and then trying the lights. If all is well you know it is certainly the earth. Ideally trace back the poor earth or as a temporary fix you can leave the test earth on.

1980 Vermillion Sprint - 174bhp