The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 pm 
TDC Member

Hello!

Back in my late teenage years in the late 90's & early noughties I was a member of the gang - whilst my friends were driving Fiestas, Corsas and Polos I had my 1975 Mimosa Toledo (HJM 845N, if anyone remembers the car) and then a Vermillion Dolly 1500 (as well as a spares 1500SE) - and a member of the club. I used to get involved a bit, attending events including club meets such as the one at National Arboretum and STER in Arcen, Netherland (I think). It is now a few years later, I am supposedly a bit more responsible and grown up, but the itch has returned, and I am seriously considering scratching it and re-entering the world of Dolly (or Tolly) ownership for a bit of weekend fun and tinkering. I have started to look around the normal places, but if anyone knows of an (probably, based on budget) 1850/1850HL or even a three-door Tolly (gold-dust I know) that is worth a look please let me know - I am now based in North Hertfordshire but don't mind travelling a little way. T&T would help as I don't currently have access to a trailer or car with towbar.

Many thanks,

James

1980 Dolomite 1850 HL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:04 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

3 door Tollys don't exist. You must mean a 2-door Tolly.

I've seen a few 1850s on the 'bay and there's been a couple advertised on this forum. What is your budget? There's the Triumph Show at Stoneleigh this coming Sunday. You might find something there as well.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:38 pm 
The 1972 Dolomite (pre-HL, in spite of what it says both on eBay and on the car's BMIHT certificate :roll: ) that I used to own is currently back on eBay and desperately needs someone to care for it. Structurally, you'd struggle to find better, the noise described as coming from the transmission is actually a diff noise and the interior is very good indeed, bar a slight bit of lacquer peel on the n/s/f door top.
VED is free, being a '72 and all and the current disc expires at the end of March. I bought the car 300 miles away and drove home, then used the car as a daily driver for three years and doubled the original 40,000 miles.
The engine's a peach and only needs the dribble from the oil pump dealing with (O rings are cheap) as it did the head gasket failure trick back at 47k and I sorted it properly with the result that it'll see you right for long enough to come.
The gearbox changes smoothly and with the high overall gearing, provides comfy cruising at a mere 3500rpm at 70mph in 3rd.
Suspension, steering and structural bits are all either new within the last year (mechanical bits) or well kept and largely original (floors, chassis legs, sill structures, doors, wings, rear arches, boot floor, etc.) due to regular top ups of the car's Ensis fluid rust preventative measures.
The fault that the seller describes would be cured easily by flushing the thick tractor oil out of the carb dampers and refilling with the correct ATF.

Here he is.

Don't be put off by the remote location, the car stays just less than a mile from the main road to Edinburgh so driving away would be simple. Just insure it, book it in for an MOT and set off home. Simple and I suspect that it'll be cheap as a result of the sparse description, which misses out all of the massive amount of new bits and work done as well as the sh*te pictures. :wink:

I don't gain anything by mentioning this here, bar the immense satisfaction of seeing someone who knows what they're doing taking on the car.
The body is utterly sound and the images make it look much less presentable than the car actually is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:45 pm 

Welcome (back) and please, PLEASE save JPBs old car.
He really doesn't need much to return to his former glory.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:32 pm 
Quote:
Welcome (back) and please, PLEASE save JPBs old car.
He really doesn't need much to return to his former glory.
Oh I don't know, have you seen him recently? The car on the other hand, is a belter. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 pm 
TDC Member

Sorry! Of course I meant two-door - typo during a hurried two-minute lunch and not re-reading before posting....

Budget is £1500 - £2000, so am hoping that should stretch to a nice 1850 although obviously the less I spend the better (as I keep being told by by my other (better) half as we are also saving for our June wedding....)

I will take a look at it JPB - thanks for the info.

J

1980 Dolomite 1850 HL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 pm 
I suspect that your budget would buy the old Sienna Dolomite formerly known as Dougie several times over, so you'd then have to buy another car with the change.

Fritter it away on things like a wedding if you prefer, but they're ten a penny compared to tax free Dolomites with a proper engine and no need for major work. :)
Oops, I thought that, but then wrote it too. Sorry. :oops:
Quote:
Oh I don't know, have you seen him recently? The car on the other hand, is a belter.
:P

And there speaks a man who has travelled as a passenger in the car to which I refer. (And lived). 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:40 pm 
TDC Member

The itch has been scratched.... :o)

Sorry JPB, it's not your car, but it is an 1850HL, manual with overdrive (working!), seems pretty solid with good paintwork and is MOT'd until January. It needs a few small bits and pieces doing - gearbox changes well and overdrive is fairly smooth at engaging/disengaging but it is a bit noisy in neutral (layshaft bearings?) and although there don't seem to be any leaks, the front and rear windscreen seals look like they need replacing, and the trim finishing joint piece is missing from both, as well as a few other bits and pieces But picked it up on Saturday and drove it 125 miles home without any issues - good temperature, good voltage, etc, It is "V" reg and a bright blue colour (Pagaent??).

Guess it's time to rejoin the club!

J

1980 Dolomite 1850 HL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:30 am 
Excellent! :thumbsup:

Someone is going to ask....so it may as well be me.....pictures please! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:22 pm 
Yes,pictures please.Lots of pictures :nodding:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:40 pm 

...and a thread in the "resto" section.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:40 pm 
I remember you James! We met at Warwick Arboretum in 1998. I wonder what became of your Toledo? Nice that you're back in the fold. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:04 pm 
TDC Member

Thank you! It is nice to be back. Not sure what happened to the Toledo or the Dolly 1500 (FHJ 567T) - both were still roadworthy (and MOT'd) when sold to fund university, but according to the DVLA website, have not been taxed since... Both buyers were supposedly going to "look after" them but I don't know if either still exists.

1980 Dolomite 1850 HL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:05 pm 
TDC Member

PS - photos now in a thread in the resto section - "Blu"

1980 Dolomite 1850 HL