The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:46 pm 
It's been over two years since I said goodbye to MLM 317V, my beloved russet 1850HL and I've been regretting it ever since so when I got a bursary from uni earlier this year the hunt began, and this is what I've come up with...

1977 1850HL automatic with 43 000 miles on the clock which I don't think is bad going.

The body is really straight with only four things needing attention, a dent in the front wing next to the headlights, a similar dent in the boot lid where the 1850HL badge goes, some signs of a repair on the driver’s side rear door and some spidering in the paint all over the car which I am happy to leave as is. I can't find any rust.

The car has lived on the Isle of Man all it's life which probably helped it's condition as they warmer winters and don't grit the roads. The seller ferried her over and I picked her up from Preston yesterday after getting the coach up from London and drove back to London for the night before making it back to Sussex this morning. The only faults I came across driving back was an indicator stalk that is loose and falls out sometimes and a fault with the no charge light.

I'm not sure what is causing the no charge problem, the light started flickering when I put the side lights on and came on full with full beams although the voltage didn't fall below 13.4 votls (checked with a multi meter). The fan belt was very slack so I sorted that but still the problem remained. It gets dimmer at idle but the belt isn't slipping. Does anyone have any ideas?

The idiot standing next to it is me and it's my gran in the car - she didn't want to get out while it was being photographed because it was too cold, bless her!

Tomorrow I'm going to give her a really good clean and a tune up before going back to uni. I'll get her through her first MOT in the summer when my exams are over and sort out all the DVLA registration documents then too. I just hope I'm going to be able to get insured in the summer, my old one cost £350 with me as a named driver but I suspect those days may well be over...

James

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:12 pm 
That is a fantastic tache!

Sorry, did you say something about a car? Dolomite?

Tache-tastic, that. Makes mine look... well, invisible :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:01 pm 
The light's probably flickering because of the undercharging that you mentioned (13.4v. Should be between 13.8 and 14.4). My last one had the ignition lamp flickering and its gauge read around 13 but was, when checked by an accurate means, closer to 12.7, falling way under that with a load applied (lights, blower, HRW, etc.).
Maybe time for an alternator overhaul, but hey, you've just bought a car with no rot which should more than make up for a minor electrical issue. :)

Has it been a plate donor at some point? The plates on the car are carrying a 2004 registration.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:15 pm 
I know the numberplates have changed several times in it's past, it was MN 616 until a few days ago which was a private plate and then there was another one before that which was the original but I have no idea how the Manx plate system works, I just know I'll get an age related plate from the DVLA when I register her here.

The voltage dropped to 13.3 at idle with headlights on and was over 14 at idle without, rising when the engine was running at any decent speed. I'll take the alternator off when I get chance and have a look at it as it's not in the best condition!

I forgot to mention, the engine has been replaced with a 20k TR7 2.0 but is still running the 1850 carbs and manifold.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:38 pm 
A TR7 engine with the autobox makes for a car that I'd consider pretty much the perfect Dolomite. :D The economy of the higher geared diff found in autos (3.27:1 vs 3.63:1) with the extra torque of the 7 engine will see you well into the high 30s mpg as it simply won't need to spend too much time in 2nd. I'm really quite envious. :wink:

The figures with and without a load on the alternator probably aren't too far away as it's picking up into the low 14s like that, I'd be checking it with a cheap, modern digital meter across the battery to confirm exactly what's going on, it's also possible that the alternator's rectifier pack could be on the way out. A compromised DC output could also make the lamp do odd things.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 am 
I must say I was hugely impressed with the auto box and will be keeping it. I was looking at fitting a manual overdrive box before collecting it but I really don't think that's necessary! It suits the car I feel.

On the way back I got about 32mpg cruising between 50 and 70 on the motorway but it is in need of a tune up. By the looks of it she has her original HS4s rather than the 6's from the TR which will be helping low down torque even more which is a bonus.

The readings were taken with a pocket meter so I think the diode pack may well be at fault here. It was maxing around 14.8 without the lights.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:23 am 
Congratulations on what appears to be a great buy :clapping:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:24 pm 
Well done, looks a lovely car. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 am 
TDC Member

Great looking car James, and good to have you back in the fold.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:14 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Welcome back from another Russett 1850 (HL in all but name) auto owner.

Your HS4s seem to be up to the job on the TR7 lump. Sounds like a good combination. How about a thread in the "resto" section?

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:52 pm 
Continued here!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20899

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 pm 
That looks like a very solid Dolomite indeed, nice one...!