The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:17 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello everyone. Thought i had better join up as i have just bought a 1972 Dolomite 1850 auto. Its apparently only done 10,600 miles from new and its pretty much rust free - got it from a chap in Suffolk. Currently its looking a bit sorry for its self, as all the trim is off and waxoyl is running out of every corner and cavity :lol:
Will post some pictures up in a week or so when she is back together and cleaned up.
Matt.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:49 am 
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice car you have there, and yes we like piccies.

Feel free to ask any questions on here - I won't be able to answer them (!) but there are people on here who can.

Good luck with the car,

Beejay.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:28 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome ! John JPB will be your contact for advice on early 1850 automatics. And only 10,000 odd miles. Sounds like a bargain. Please do put up some photos.
Good Luck,
Tony.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:24 pm 

Why do I get the suspicion this may have something to do with Lord Tolly... Iirc, he's into Vivas too...

Anyway, welcome.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:52 pm 
Hello! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:19 pm 
Well I never, Mr D. Good to see that you bought a Dolomite. Anyone who's seen the piccies of your Viva on the Popular Classics site will know that this '72 Dolomatic is in very good hands indeed now.
Welcome to the forum. Exactly how early is your car? I ask because I have a rear bumper blade that's only strictly "correct" for something up to chassis number WF4109 (though it could just as easily be fitted to a later car by means of drilling four extra holes in the blade itself) and if you'd like to have it, it's yours for the taking. Free, gratis, collection only.

It's quite large so, unlike some of the smaller parts I've been trying to sell and/or give away to other folk ( :oops: ), I actually know where it is :shock: , it's perfect - never having been on a car - and seeing it used or kept as a spare by someone lucky enough to have a good '72 Auto would satisfy me enormously.
Welcome to the forum too, this place is a great web resource for the Dolomite and its owner, pictures of other classics tend to be well received here as well. (Hint....) :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:35 pm 

Hello John - good to hear from you again!
I can send you the chassis / commission numbers if they mean anything to you, but i dont think its THAT early - It was advertised as being a 1971 build but i dont think it is. It was registered mid 1972 and has the later type rear bumper with the mounting holes. Thanks for your kind offer but i dont have a good record trying to drill through chrome! Its really the two side pieces i need for mine - they have suffered through storage.
Only owned it a week but early "discoveries" include a total absence of rust - it was just red primer and dust underneath, no underseal at all - plus at some point its had a knock to the front N/S corner - the wing has been replaced, and there is slight evidence of some skilled panel beating to the front lower valence, if you catch the light right. Im very happy with it so far - the webasto is lovely and the gearbox is smooth. Its booked in next week for some light paintwork in a couple of areas - couple of scrapes - then i will polish it up and enjoy. Previous owner told me proudly he had NEVER polished it :roll: - and you can tell. The paint is original and nice and thick, but it is hard work buffing it up by hand :lol:
Im going to service it shortly too - whats this about not changing the ATF? Previous owner was very definate NOT to do it??
Thanks - Matt.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:22 am 

Quote:
whats this about not changing the ATF? Previous owner was very definate NOT to do it??
That sounds a bit wrong to me, wouldn't the fluid become less effective after a while???

Have just checked through the 1850 Triumph Dolomite repair Manual and there is a section on changing the fluid so by the sounds of it it should be changed

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:34 pm 

Welcome. Nice to see another early 1850 auto owner join the fold. Feel free to pick my brains as well. You should definitely change the fluid. It will make a difference. Something else I'd recommend is electronic ignition and if you're not too bothered about concurs I'd recommend fitting a Sprint dizzy. Are we going to see a thread in the "resto" section? Let's at least see some photos of this 1850 auto.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:44 pm 
Hello Matt,
Im from Norwich,flew to Dublin and drove my 1850 back from Hollyhead on Sat,a 22 hour day in all but well worth it,we have a Norwich branch!!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 pm 

Hello Taff
Feel free to pop over some time - would love to see your car!
Im right in the centre of Norwich.
Matt.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:37 pm 
And me Matt,car went through MOT today(no advisories!!),going to DVLA tomorrow to sort registration out.Let me know when you are about,probably be heading up to show on 3rd of June for a look round
taff