The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wing mirror advice
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:42 pm 
Hello all.

I am a new member to this forum and I need a little advice. I'm 15 year old student who owns a F reg 1968 1300 FWD. A little soon many have said, but I bought it because it was the right price and I was in the market anyway. The car itself is next to perfect. the only problems are a slight bit of rust under the paintwork and a little exposed rust on one of the door sills. This I will hopefully fix sooner or later. My main issue is that as I am going to drive this as my first car, I need wing mirrors. To put it bluntly, for this age of car, do I get round or square mirrors? Also do they belong near the quarter lights or on the front wings?

Thanks,
Greg

Post subject: Re: Wing mirror advice
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:24 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Legally they aren't necessary, but they are a good idea and very handy. :D

Mirrors on the wings would probably be a little more period correct, but they are really rather useless for the business of seeing behind you as the angle of vision is quite narrow. I'd go for door mirrors, they'll look fine and are much better to use. Go for the square ones, the usual "bullet" mirrors have quite a narrow range of adjustment which makes them difficult to use on the doors.

I would get the rust on the sill looked at ASAP - the sill is the main structure of the car, and rust on the outside generally means it has rusted through from the inside.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:10 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Agree with Dave, bullet mirrors are useless, to the point I actually regret bolting one up to my door now...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:11 pm 
TDC Member

I use the mirror on the drivers door but find the near side door mirror to be a waste of time and wish that I have not fitted it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 am 
Quote:
I use the mirror on the drivers door but find the near side door mirror to be a waste of time and wish that I have not fitted it.
Ditto, waste of time, wish I hadn't bothered with mine either. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:27 am 
Sounds like a great choice of first car sir...! Let's see some snaps of it as soon as possible... :wink:

I had wing mounted mirrors on a Rover P6 I had many years ago and they weren't really that useful to be honest!

I would go for a standard square/rectangular mirror just on the drivers door (a mirror on the passenger door isn't really that useful) in a nice chrome finish to complement your splendid car.

You should find something suitable here (or on eBay of course!)...

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/Searc ... hText=door mirror&WebCatalogID=0

With regards to the rust, get it looked at pronto as it doesn't get better by itself and the longer it gets left the more it'll cost you...!!!

Good luck with all things motor related, it sounds like you've got a wonderful car in your possesion...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:44 am 

I fitted a passenger door mirror to my Sprint and I certainly didn't regret it. I'd like to fit one to Brown. It does come in useful when it comes to parking and suchlike. Brown had mirrors on the front wings but unfortuntely, they suffered from vandalism. I nearly bought a pair at a recent show just to fill the holes left behind.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle