The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New member, familiar car
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
Hi. I'd just like to say 'hello' and introduce myself as the new owner of Nobleox_Toledo's 1975 Toledo, Maggie.

I've just got out of her after driving her about 150 miles since yesterday afternoon, and when I got in my Clio to park it elsewhere the pedals felt so light I though they had broken :)

I'm completely new to Triumphs and only got round to learning to drive in 2010, then aged 36... one way to avoid sky-high insurance premiums as a teenager, I suppose.

Any advice you have for looking after Maggie would be welcome, as would a 'hello' from anyone who's reading :D If anyone's in Essex (or specifically in Colchester), you'll probably see me driving her around from time to time.

And though I'm sure it has been asked a million times before, can anyone point me to an idiot's guide for wiring in a 12v power socket? The 'grab two wires from here and crimp or solder them here' sort of thing?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:16 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Welcome to the forum.

I live just outside Colchester and I'm also the Essex rep.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction as to where to wire the plug in.

Good luck and there a good bunch here who can answer any other questions you may have.

All the best

Darren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 pm 
Hello! I also lurk around Colchester but live in North London. Welcome to the world of skinned knuckles, bloodshot eyes and an empty wallet.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:37 pm 
Quote:
Hello! I also lurk around Colchester but live in North London. Welcome to the world of skinned knuckles, bloodshot eyes and an empty wallet.

Ken
Thank for the welcome Ken. I've got the bloodshot eyes and the empty wallet already. Just the skinned knuckles to go :wink:

I'm the other way round. Used to live in North London (Stamford Hill), but moved here about 3 1/2 years ago. That's what made learning to drive inescapable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:39 pm 
Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

I live just outside Colchester and I'm also the Essex rep.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction as to where to wire the plug in.

Good luck and there a good bunch here who can answer any other questions you may have.

All the best

Darren
Thanks for the welcome Darren. I'll keep an eye out for you... you'll see me heading in Maggie from near the North Station to the Hythe every weekday morning.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:41 pm 
First job on Maggie done - cleaned out her screenwash system. Trusty pipe cleaner, scrubbed mesh filter and a couple of lungfuls of air blown through the pipes. Working sweetly now. I'll be fathoming out the 12v extension next weekend: tomorrow I'm taking her to Nottingham.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:45 pm 
Im assuming you mean a 12v cigar lighter supply? These need to be run on a separate fuse because the appliances plugged in can draw quite a current. Best thing to do is either find a blank input to the fuse box and fit a 20 amp fuse and run it from there or find a 30 amp circuit that doesn't power anything important ie lights... And tap off from there with a 20 amp inline fuse. The earth wire can go straight to the chassis but be sure to rust proof any holes you drill!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 am 
How did the trundle up to Nottingham go, did Maggie behave herself? Two days into having the 'old' Merc as my sole car and I feel like there's something missing from my life....I still keep expecting to see her and have that phantom keys feeling in my pocket :cry:

I hope you had a good drive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:26 pm 
Quote:
Im assuming you mean a 12v cigar lighter supply? These need to be run on a separate fuse because the appliances plugged in can draw quite a current. Best thing to do is either find a blank input to the fuse box and fit a 20 amp fuse and run it from there or find a 30 amp circuit that doesn't power anything important ie lights... And tap off from there with a 20 amp inline fuse. The earth wire can go straight to the chassis but be sure to rust proof any holes you drill!!!
Thanks for that! I've had a look and I can see what I need to do now. I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:35 pm 
Quote:
How did the trundle up to Nottingham go, did Maggie behave herself? Two days into having the 'old' Merc as my sole car and I feel like there's something missing from my life....I still keep expecting to see her and have that phantom keys feeling in my pocket :cry:

I hope you had a good drive.
She did exceptionally well. Up to Nottingham without a hitch. Then down to Kettering afterwards. Then back to Colchester this morning, via KCP Car & Commercial in Bury St Edmunds to pick up two rear seat belts. That's this weekend's project sorted. I see there's some handy advice on this forum about how to fit them :)

I've sorted out the screen washers too - now directing strong jets just where they're needed. Lines all clear, filter on the end scrubbed clean. I've got all the windows gleaming too (or at least I had, before I set off in sheets of rain yesterday morning...). I also took the radio out and put it back in again. Didn't do anything to it, but it's now working hitch free and I have 2 pencils I found behind it :o

She's very happy so far (and so am I... thank you!)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
I hope those wern't structural pencils :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:39 pm 
Quote:
I hope those wern't structural pencils :shock:
I think they were long wave jammers... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:36 pm 
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Worked without a hitch.

Used a circuit tester to work out which fuse was on the ignition circuit, brought a 27amp wire through into the dashboard, spliced in a 20amp inline fuse and earthed to a nut somewhere in the recesses of the parcel shelf. Works like a dream and I now have the huge satisfaction of not making a mess of my first excursion into car electrics.