The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gear Box Budgets.......
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 am 
Right, iam not mechanically mind so need some advice please.

If i need to replace a gearbox what am i looking a paying for a recogn gear box and then getting it put in???
I appreciate its a big job and far beyond my capabilities but i nned to budget this up.

Thanks again peepes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

We need to know which car you need a gearbox for :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:12 am 
Is an 1850.....i dont think i would push to a spanking new one from rimmers but maybe its the best long term investment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

Single rail or three rail?
Easiest way to tell, where is reverse gear? Next to 3rd is a single rail, 1st for a three rail.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:04 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Paul, I don't think there are any brand new 1850 gearboxes around these days. They will all be reconditioned units.
Now I was in this situation with SWK ( an 1850 daily driver ) back in the Summer and normally I would have done it myself but I couldn't risk my back so I asked my local ( Triumph friendly ) garage to do it.
The 1-Line Management summary is it cost £1211.59, but you will get £100 surcharge back.
This is made up of £558 labour at £55 + VAT per hour.
They dropped the old gearbox / Overdrive out from underneath. And between coffee break and early lunch !
Comment : One problem is you only get the basic gearbox so there is the swapping over of the overdrive bits and the cleaning and the new gaskets.
Hint : If the garage doesn't know, they need to swap the overdrive pump and key-way. !
Comment 2 : You should replace the clutch bits and external seals while they are all out : These came to £158:59
I got my replacement gearbox from Wins including the old unit surcharge of £100 for £495:00
Hint 2 : My local place ( being Triumph friendly ) understood and recommended replacement of the clutch fork. And they were quite right. My old one was starting to crack ! Note these are also NLA.
HTH,
Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 pm 
If you're near me I'll fit it cheaply. Did my Sprint in just over an hour last time so I'm getting good at it...
I also have an 1850 non-O/D gearbox that I no-longer need. All good except a slightly rattly 1st but it worked fine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 pm 
Thank you very much for the advice.....
Tony, i guess if iam going to get the work done its worth paying the extra for a recon unit and have piece of mind.

Its the extra bits i didn't think of (o/d etc...).
thanks again.
p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:06 am 
Its a Single Rail gearbox with overdrive :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:29 pm 

You must be clairvoyant... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:57 pm 
He's got the gift!!

well, is it bloody serious then?? ha!
Will bring my tarots