The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Viewed first dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:02 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Well I went to a view a 1300. The good stuff, in the metal the 1300, in the right colour, is a pretty car. I was unsure of the square lamps and the more sparse interior. However when you see it, it grows on you, combined with a tough engine and decent fuel economy. Tempting.

The bad stuff, the condition. I asked the seller on the phone about the body work before viewing, and he said a bit of filler and faded paint. In the metal, both front wheel arches and the one rear arche were made of filler. Not well sculpted filler either, a lumpy mess, which my magnet refused to stick to.

Offside outer sill was rotting, rust hole under the passenger footwell, more filler around the back lights, loads of filler around the front headlights. Combined with tired interior and I could see the bills racking up.

Still it was interesting to have a closer look at one, and they say never buy the first one you see. I will keep looking and hope for better luck next time.

Post subject: Re: Viewed first dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:57 am 
Morning,

1st one I went to see (1500HL) was in a similar state, he wanted £600 for it.
The second one I looked at (which I bought) had only a very small amount of rot, had high standard welding done to underneath, and undersealing and waxyoyle sprayed into every possible places etc small amount of mechanics needed (brakes) and cost me £450. Shows what you can get when you look around. Don't buy the first one you look at if it needs that amount of work (you may only pay £150 but will end up spending well over £1500 to make it OK), when you can get very very very very good Dolomites for very good money elswhere.

Hope that's a help.

Regards,

Tim

Post subject: Re: Viewed first dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:49 am 

The seller was asking £700 plus. I was doing a mental tot up of the work required, and my best guess was 1K minimum, if I was lucky. Twice that seemed realistic, especially, because it was likely I missed something.

To be frank I would rather spend more and get a good one. Than risk that sort of money. Shame, because I suspect that the car hasn't got much of a future. I can't see anyone taking a chance at that price.