The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:22 pm 
Hello all. just got dolly chassis number 1199 how do i know i find out if its been converted?
1300 engine in her

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 pm 
You can't.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am 
Drive to petrol station, lift up unleaded nozzle, fill car, pay for fuel and drive off.....

Hey presto, its converted!!

Been running a ohv 1300 for 7years on unleaded, iv had no issues, if its going on a long run on a motorway then ill bung some additive in but that's it!!

They say if the engine has not had a major rebuild or a decoke then it should be ok for 30k. only time will tell.

Nathan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 pm 
Hi
I've got a Dolly 1300 which hasn't been converted and runs fine on unleaded. I can tell the difference though between the cheap and more expensive unleaded.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:32 am 
pull the head off and look for inserts other than that forget it till burns a valve out

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:24 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Another vote for fill with petrol and drive it, If it does ever burnout a valve then you can get it converted but it will be a long time until that happens so save you pennies and enjoy the car.

Well done in your choice of a proper engined Dolomite, any chance of posting pics?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:23 pm 

Service history, if you have it. Look out for anything that mentions hardened valve seats.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:04 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Even if it hasn't, the job is simple and quick (i.e. cheap) enough on a 1300 engine that it really doesn't make sense to throw additive or super unleaded into the engine just in case. Enjoy the car, but if you are nervous put a couple of quid to one side each week (what you'd spend extra on additives) to get the head done if the car ever decides it needs it.