The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:20 pm 
Hello, I was wondering where the best place for instructions and guides to fixing and repairing a Dolomite or Toledo would be?

Obviously i'm sure I can get a lot of help from this forum, but instead of pestering people constantly I was wondering if there are any sites full of tutorials etc.

I'm looking at purchasing a Dolomite or Toledo in June and am trying to learn as much as I possibly can before doing so but don't want to purchase it before I know I will be able to repair it if needs be.

Would just a Heynes manual suffice?

I have a limited knowledge of mechanics but have performed basic tasks like replacing water pumps and radiators, resetting tappets, changing the oil etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:26 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

To be fair, what you've just stated as basics would scare the hell out of 90% of car owners.
These are simple beasts, a proper workshop manual is the best way to go.
Generally speaking though, we don't mind being 'pestered', everyone has to start somewhere.

To be honest, I've just dived into it and err, it's mostly gone to plan... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:04 pm 
I'm holding out to buy one in good condition, but it's still probably best that I learn as much as I can.
It's definitely best to learn by doing, just good to make sure I know what i'm doing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:16 pm 
Let me know which model you settle on. I'm bound to have original workshop manuals and other guides for whatever derivative you choose.

Failing that you'd be more than welcome to bring your new purchase to Bournemouth for a healthcheck. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:24 pm 
Brilliant, thank you very much. I'm actually having a hard time finding any to actually purchase. There was a Toledo for sale in the town just over from me in lovely condition, however, it has been sold.

Here's the advert: http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... ph-toledo/

I've also been looking at Dolomites, but again, struggling to find many.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:32 pm 
If you PM me a rough idea of budget, I'll let you know what I have been offered recently: there are quite a few cars available in Dorset.