The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: dolomite 1850 hl brakes
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:06 pm 
hi its tractor boy my 1850 hl is going well but brake pedal needs a hard prod to make brakes effective, i hav checked cailipers and rear wheel cyls and these are ok, servo doesnt seem to work very well checked all vaacum pipes and they are ok, do i need to replace servo unit? , look forward to your advice tractor boy,

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:36 pm 
Bleed each brake and make sure the rears are adjusted well. All Dollys generally require more effort than moderns, braided broke hoses help.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:27 pm 
thanks will try doing them this weekend, did notice that the brake pedal felt hard and suspect that there is no air in the system, could this be right, tractor boy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:38 pm 
TDC Member

There is a standard test they do for brake servo operation on the MOT test.
Its runs along the lines of ..... with the engine off you put your foot on the brake pedal, with moderate pressure, and start the engine. You should feel the brake pedal sink slightly as the engine starts.
If the brake pedal feels firm ultimately, then it sounds as if the brake bleeding operation has worked O.K.

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:03 pm 
thanks for your advice, brakes and servo seem ok. im too used to my volvo s60 brakes being much keener!!! Tractor boy.