The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Triumph 1500 value?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:29 pm 
Hi,

New member of the forum here. I know pretty much nothing about classic cars but myself and my husband go to quite a few steam and transport fairs throughout the year and would love to exhibit.

My husband's Granny has a Triumph 1500, K reg, June 1971 in maroon sat under a dust sheet in our garage. It's had one owner from new and has 24000 miles on the clock. It's road tax ran out in Jan 1997 and I know for a few years before that the only time it went out was to the garage for an MOT so it's probably not moved since Jan 1996. It looks in pretty good conditon but I can't get to it to study in detail, most things on our farm get smothered with oil so I would imagine it's been well oiled before it was put under dust sheets. I would like to offer to buy it from Granny as a Christmas present for my husband. Trouble is, I don't have the foggiest what to offer her for it! Values on t'internet seem to vary wildly from one extreme to the other. So what would be a reasonable amount do you experts think?

Thanks, Kate.

Post subject: Re: Triumph 1500 value?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 am 
Hi Kate

Pretty sketchy description so a pretty sketchy value to match :) :

£450 - £750 I reckon. A car that has stood that long will need total recommissioning of brake, clutch, fuel system etc, plus there could well be mouse infestation which would take it's toll on interior (which you can see) and electrical wires (that you can't see).

Hope this is of some use to you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:46 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

I second Alan's valuation and comments about brakes etc needing replacing as well as the tyres but you really need to get underneath and inside the wheel arches to give it a good prodding to check for rust, they really don't like being left stood under covers as it traps all the moisture in.
whereabouts are you there maybe a local member that can give the car a proper looking over for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:36 pm 
Thank you everyone for your help, will update you when i've actually asked if she'll sell it me!