The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: rev counter problems
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:50 pm 
Hi guys my dolly 1500hl has a problem with the rev counter it works but when I tern on the lights it goes dead what's happening any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: rev counter problems
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:53 am 
TDC Member

Interesting symptoms; but a classic case of an earth going missing. There is enough of a poor earth contact to run the rev; counter but when the 2.2 W rev; counter bulb is on the current through the earth contact is enough to deprive the rev; counter of enough voltage to operate it. To fix it means the following.
Disconnect the battery.
Drop the instrument panel to what B.L. call the "service position "( remove the 4 screws ) you may have to disconnect the speedo cable from the back of speedometer.
Look on the back of the rev; counter and at the bottom there is an earth tag. There should be a black wire on it going to a good earth. If not it will have dropped off somewhere behind the dash. You can always add an extra earth wire to a good earthing point.
The earthing tag is the one by the "499" label in the piccy.
While you are there check the other earthing points on the instruments. Where they are and how they are run depends a bit on build number and variant (1300 /1500 / 1850 / Sprint etc;) but my 1850 has 3 black wires going to the retaining ring on one of them.
HTH,
Tony.

Attachments:
sprint rev count.JPG
sprint rev count.JPG [ 52.54 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]

Post subject: Re: rev counter problems
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:58 pm 
Thanks