The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:47 pm 
HI Everyone,

Wasn't quite sure where I should put this post so figured I should begin here....

I first had a dolomite at the age of 15, 21 years ago, and it was my first car, the car I learned to drive in round the farm yard and fields. She was an Inca Yellow 1300, and sadly she was eventually scrapped.

Years have gone by, cars have come and gone, I have tried to grow up.. and I have turned a little nostalgic.

I have recently bought a 1500HL auto in white, with a view to restoring her.

I bought her as a non-runner, and I have got her running, more or less, (needs a good set up, but not yet), and I am starting to source parts, and get ready for the body fab bits I need to do, such as both rear door bottoms, and a few other bits.

In getting her running, it is pretty clear that whoever fitted the recent engine change, (another 1500 after the original one let go), seems to have damaged the flywheel as the ring gear sounds to be making contact with the starter pinion.

I already have a clutch and flywheel in the spares kit, and spotted a manual box is available locally,but I was wondering if anyone is likely to scream sacrilege if I converted her?

If I do, which is probable, has anyone else converted the 1500 from auto to manual?

If so, does anyone know if the clutch pedal is separate or do I need a complete pedal assy?

is the prop the same?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:25 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi Rob, and welcome. As far as the flywheel goes is there any sign of a spacer between starter and mounting? I have recently fitted a new starter to my 1500 and didn't fit the shims that came off old one with spacer, which when fitted was fouling the teeth on the flexplate, Just a thought but worth a look?
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:00 pm 
Thanks RJF, if I turn the engine over by hand the ring gear is making contact with the starter every turn for a portion of the turn but not all 360 degrees, so it is definitely warped, bent or generally buggered. as I am planning to pull the engine out to do the engine bay, and will have to go as far as the box, I was thinking it may be better long term, and as far as my driving enjoyment goes (because I am a manual sorta bloke), to swap for a manual at the same time....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:24 am 

Its a lot of work....
You need the right flywheel for a 1500 dolly as the ring gear is specific to the starter and crank. Then you need the clutch and box.
You need the hydraulics too which come with various pitfalls on clutch throw. The box should be overdrive really to make the car useable
on the motorway and then you need the right gearbox cross member and mounting. Then you need a manual dolly prop shaft. You may also need to change the speedo cable and of course the pedals are different.

A scrap 1500 manual dolly will give you most of what you need.... but can you find one?

As 1500 auto dollies are quite rare these days unless the shell is a cracker and you really want manual I would move it on and get a manual one
in the first place. An 1850 is a much nicer variant in manual or auto imho...

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:09 pm 
TDC Member

I have a complete engine and box if you need it. The engine runs on a bit so could do with having the head off and a clean up. I am in Dorset.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:27 am 
I have a 1500hl manual donor car non overdrive its a complete basket case rust wise but its complete save for a battery and some fuel pipes. The engine turns over though and as far as I know the mechanicals are in good order.

I bought it to strip for spare parts with a view to selling the engine and box but keeping the other parts for spares for my 1850.

Time constraints mean Ive not yet touched it and I may need to move it on to make room for my 1850 when it comes back from the bodyshop.

Its in Kent will need trailering away and would let it go for money in the region of £200

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:45 pm 

I'm with both Jonners and Mike on this one. Move it on if you really want one with a manual gearbox. The autos are quite rare with the 1500 non-HL being the rarest variant of the entire Dolomite range.

Our very own Alun (xvivalve) has a collection of Dolomites one of which should yield a suitable project. His emporuem has to be seen to be believed. He also does the Club repair panels so he's virtually a one-stop shop for all things Dolomite.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:30 pm 
Hi all,
Sorry it has been a while since I have replied.
To be fair the car was actually in a right state when I got into digging a bit deeper. Previous owner had bonded bits of steel over rot holes with expanding foam and then stone chipped over them.....
Two over sill panels had were held on with a rivet at each end and then bogged it into the original bodywork...

The engine, upon removal, left the torque converter in the bellhousing. The only thing that had been holding it to the flex plate was expanding foam....... no. Seriously. Not a joke. No bolts. Just foam..

I have spent a good amount of time welding her back up and she is currently in etch....

I will be making some subtle changes to the car, all of which could be returned to standard... including power plant and converting her to manual. If anyone screams sacrilege please understand this car was in a sad state, but is now being saved.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:27 pm 

You've indeed saved the car so I think we should go easy on you for converting it to a manual gearbox. At the end of the day it is your car so you can do with is as you see fit.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle