The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: sprint carb balancing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:42 pm 
guys having trouble balancing my sprints carbs,cleaned the pots,springs,needles etc,run it at 2500 to warm it up,as the haynes,played with the jet adjustment nuts on both,but the forward carb(nearest the bulkhead)still hisses much more than the other,just cant seem to get them to hiss at the same rate,ive done averything that the haynes says to the letter,very frustrating,also checked the usual,split pipes etc,plugs,dizzy points etc,all good
any suggestions...
ive searched for topics but cant seem to find any although ime sure its been covered before,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:42 pm 
You could buy a copy of the Triumph Spitfire 1500 servicing video by Vehicle Video Productions.

Although yours is a Sprint the principal is the same for setting up the twin SU carburettors.
This is a very good video giving a very clear step by step guide to setting up and balancing twin carburettors.
The method shown on this video is by listening to the hisses coming from the carbs.
Everything is explained in a clear and easy to understand way and evens explains how various components work in relation to one another.

The address is 513 Wimborne Road, Ferndown, Dorset BH22 9NF or telephone 01202 894009

Hop this helps

Steve :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:22 pm 
Is there any play in the butterfly shafts through the bushes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:08 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
guys having trouble balancing my sprints carbs,cleaned the pots,springs,needles etc,run it at 2500 to warm it up,as the haynes,played with the jet adjustment nuts on both,but the forward carb(nearest the bulkhead)still hisses much more than the other,just cant seem to get them to hiss at the same rate,ive done averything that the haynes says to the letter,very frustrating,also checked the usual,split pipes etc,plugs,dizzy points etc,all good
any suggestions...
ive searched for topics but cant seem to find any although ime sure its been covered before,
Have you made sure that the linkage is working properly? it's a terrible one for going out of whack and sloppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:43 am 
Quote:
played with the jet adjustment nuts on both,but the forward carb(nearest the bulkhead)still hisses much more than the other,just cant seem to get them to hiss at the same rate
This may just be the way you've written this, but you don't use the jet adjustment to set the airflow through the carbs - you do that with the idle adjustment screw.

Jonners wrote a good method a while back which should be in the archive. The Haynes manual should get you thereabouts too.

Where are you? Maybe someone could show you if there's anyone nearby?

Just seen - South Wales - maybe Adam could have a look at them for you :shock:

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:00 pm 
Whats that face for!? :lol: I've just finished putting that Midget back together in work, gave it a tune up too :D I was close to buying it! Well... close to thinking about buying it :P

Where are you in South Wales Jiffy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:06 am 
Wack and sloppy sounds like my ex misses.

Tone.

Post subject: CARB BALANCING
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:53 pm 
IME JUST DOWN THE ROAD FROM CARDIFF AIRPORT