The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:50 pm 
Reading this weeks classic car weekly there is a page spread about the above museum, located in Devon (a few miles north of Seaton).Looks really interesting and there is a pub opposite, and is only a short drive to the sea (fish and chips anyone?).
So who would be up for a days visit? According to CCW it is open over Easter (2.50 entrance fee!!) and from June until September.
Would an Easter (sunday?) trip be preferred or a Summer one? Give me your views and comments and then we could arrange a day out..
http://www.motoringmemories.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:09 am 
Sounds a good idea, i would prefer a summer day, i rekon its about a 1.5 - 2 hour drive if taken at a steady pace and not sat in traffic on the A31.

Maybe an idea for a camping weekend?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:54 pm 
Well 66 viewings and only 2 responses (1 pm).Come on guys surely there must be some interest.How about some opinions + or -. Lets get our cars seen or would you rather keep them locked up and polished.Carl has expressed an interest, anyone else???

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi Ade...sounds a great idea..a nice part of the world. I would be up for this one.. Maybe Lee in his mighty fine PI too!..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:23 am 
TDC Member

An excellent idea Adrian, and a musuem I have not visited before, which adds interest.

Speaking from a selfish point of view, I would avoid Easter weekend as it is always a busy holiday time, and I personally will be taking my small people away.

Camping would be a good idea as Bromley to Seaton and back in a day is a long stint. It would enable a small sampling of the local hostelries fare as well. :wink:

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:27 am 
TDC Member

Sounds like a great idea and a nice run! :)

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:11 pm 
I agree with Martin about avoiding the easter weekends as there are only two roads down to that part of the road so gets very blocked up with holidayers going west.

Sometime to look into for next year definatly, could i suggest a saturday drive to there via some pick up/ meeting points (via A303ish) and camping overnight to visit the musuem on the sunday morning?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 pm 
Thanks for the reply chaps. Ok how about sometime in June or early July? I will get some more info regarding the camping for a Saturday night and let you know early next year. Alternatively if you know of any good campsites then speak up. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:26 pm 
3/4 july already booked with Litchfield for those who want to go to the midlands.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:20 am 
TDC Member

Hallo Adrian,

First time up on the forum for almost a month now - too much to doo before Christmas and now have been bitten by the flu bug and feeling pretty sh:t at the mo.

Your planned run to the museum at Colyford sounds great. Even having lived in the SW for the past 25 yrs or so haven't been there yet although have been to Seaton a few times - a lovely oldy almost Regency town. This would be a good occasion for our SW members to join in and swell the numbers so, if you can advise me of a date, I'll canvas them to get their views. It would be good to meet up with other TDC members almost on our doorstep.

However, I would echo the comments re the traffic over the Easter weekend. Devon & Cornwall have a canny knack of brining everyone who owns a car out on the roads so any weekend away from this has to be better. Just have to rely on Mr Weather now. :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:04 pm 
Hi Y B. Looking at early to mid June to visit the museum, will search around for a suitable camp-site for those who are coming from further afield. For those that are interested I will post some more info and a definate date late Jan/early Feb.If there is a specific date that clashes with other meets then let me know.
Regards,
Ady.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:32 am 
TDC Member

Hi Ady, we stayed at an excellent campsite just outside Lyme Regis last year, Hook Farm. Check out the website. There's a good pub about 400m from the entrance to the site and you can use part of the South Coast path to walk into Lyme itself well away from main roads. We will definitely be going back there this year.

http://www.hookfarm-uplyme.co.uk/index.htm

We took the bus to Seaton then walked over to Beer (well, you've got to, haven't you ? :lol: ). The local ale is provided by the Otter brewery. I managed to sample several of their offerings and it is indeed very good. I can assure you I researched this extensively :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:40 pm 
Hi Carl. Thanks for the campsite info, looks to be ideal, I did have another site in mind but will go with your choice.I will contact the museum soon to confirm a date, just to make sure that they are open. Once done I will try to get some idea of the number of interested peeps.Btw got myself an elctronic ignition kit so might be in contact soon!!!!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:05 pm 
TDC Member

The proposed event sound good so I would be up for it as Bristol is not far however if I can find suitable B & B I will more than likely make a weekend of it. The wife will not do the camping lark any more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:10 pm 
Will probably be going on my own.My wife has been camping before,can't see her doing it again. :roll: