The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PANTHER RIO ESPECIAL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:03 am 

<<<CLICK THE IMAGE>>>

Very rare opportunity to buy the Sprint version.

Post subject: Re: PANTHER RIO ESPECIAL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:27 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I'm not usually the one to talk prices down, but that is very optimistic given its condition. I can hear the conversations at the Triumph Show,

"Hi, do you have a bonnet for a Panther Rio?"
Quote:
VERY VERY RARE PEACE OF BRITISH MOTORING HISTORY ,WHICH CAN ONLY RISE IN VALUE
Very very rare yes, but there'll be little peace before it rises in value!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:35 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

It's certainly a rare car. A brave restoration though. Working with steel is hard enough yet this has alloy panels fitted to steel parts. That can only make things more difficult. That said wouldn't it be great to see such a rare car running again?

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:36 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I know beauty is on the eye of the beholder but that is desperate looking yoke as we say over here on this side of the pond!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:09 am 
TDC Member

I find it very difficult to understand how a car of that sort of rarity can be left to rot away. It has obviously been sat outside somewhere for a very long time.

You folk undertake some restorations on cars which we would never bother looking at here simply because it would almost be economic suicide to do so.

But this car? If it were mine, if I had let it degenerate into the sort of condition that car is now I would be ashamed to try and get rid of it. I would be gifting it away on the understanding that the next owner not tell anybody where it came from.

Very sad, but if one of you lads over there decide to have a go, then best of luck. As Mark says it would be rather nice to see it running again.

I like the windscreen wipers though, very cool looking.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:41 pm 

Amazing opportunity for a brave and talented restorer. I've no idea as to the feasibility of this but I wonder if the car might be more viable if all the Panther elements were carefully removed and transplanted onto another Dolomite bodyshell?

Here it is some years ago: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/69647

Hope it finds a good home, too many Rios have been left to fester over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:20 pm 

The seller is a trader (who doesnt have internet access!) who is well known to me and some other folk. All I will say sj anyone thinking about buying please make sure you see documents and that the seller has title and the right to sell it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:05 pm 

Hi all, just wanted to set the record straight regarding last post . I'm the owner of the rio, I have owned this car since 2009 , the v5 is in my name . I'm not a dealer , I have internet access , I have built a large collection of classic cars over the years mainly triumphs , and enjoy restoring and driving them. Over the last few years I have been selling my stock of parts and cars to sponsor my growing Jionery business . Some of you may have brought from me that doesn't make me a trader. My collection is down to just three cars now and the rio is a very reluctant sale hence the price , I spent years looking for one and if I part with it will I ever find another. PS the car is how I brought it just can't find the time anymore for my old cars . If anyone has anything they would like to ask regarding the rio I would be happy to help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 pm 

Sorry for poor spelling , and punctuation on last post , ment joinery forget to look up sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:11 pm 

Hello Brian.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:57 am 
TDC Member

Hello Triumphmad

In a way I know how you feel. You had bought the car to restore it, in the condition in which we see it now. I did the same once with a 2.5PI manual with overdrive station wagon. It would have probably been as rare down here as your Rio. It too needed a lot of work to make it into a nice car. And back when I bought it we had no such thing as the internet so to source the parts I would have needed would have been a real mission.

I sold the wagon, I wish in some ways now I had kept it. But I fully understand why you are selling. My comments made above were certainly not directed at you but at an owner before you who allowed this car to get to the condition it is in now.

I hope you manage to find a home for the car with someone who is prepared to have a go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:10 pm 

hi Robert , thanks for the reply when I purchased the rio I myself look at the previous owner in wonder how he just left the car to rot outside because he owned it for many years and at one point loved it.
I don't expect to sale in this condition, I just wanted to test the water really. I have to say its had a lot of interest Mostly negative but who cares ,
On a different note how's the 1300 comming on I guess your the same Robert I sent the timber dash to? You allso asked me about light lenses which I packed up ready but you never replayed to my emails . If you still want them PM me . All the best Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 pm 

This is a message for. TrustNo1

Once again I'm not a dealer/trader
I don't no you and my names not Brian , you have me confused with someone else.

Maybe someone else could, set this guy straight who does no me ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:21 am 
In the spirit of keeping this forum friendly, could Trustno1 contact Triumphmad via the PM facility so they can discuss his accusations in private please?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 pm 

Sorry to say it but that is one bloody ugly car. I'm a Triumph fan but that does not float my boat in any way shape of form.

Apologies to the seller but....

I get that it is rare but it is a very brave and talented individual who even thinks about taking that one on.