The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 4:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deja Vu!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:37 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-DOLOM ... Sw-ZBZobay

Post subject: Re: Deja Vu!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:28 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

seen this a few times - being new to dolomites whats the deal?

problem or bargain?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:04 pm 

Well, you are free to make up your own mind, but when the car with that identity left the factory it was Mimosa yellow with a manual gearbox.

Of course, both of those could have been changed to suit the whim or desire of an owner...but then there is the post '76 specification of the seats and seatbelts, the post '76 dash arrangement, though the speedo is correct, and the post '76 front valance without any holes for the under rider support brackets to pass through to the inner valance...though the bumpers are both early style...

Some call it nit picking, but an early car is likely to carry a premium, so one would hope the buyer is getting what they expect...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:30 pm 

wow - I'm always impressed by that level of detailed knowledge. I wouldn't have a clue being a relative newcomer.

hats off to you sir.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 am 
TDC Member

As we know, there's less than no doubt that that's a reshell of old bits into a later car.

Knowing that the wiring loom is different for post '76 cars to enable the fitment of a seatbelt warning system and that the wiring for the indicators and hazard light switch is also different, that is clearly a brilliant example of badge re engineering.

That's a later shell with the engine and 'box (assuming the numbers match the reg) transplanted from an original Sprint as you're never going to go to the trouble to fit a new loom, dash and seats etc. just for the sake of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 am 
TDC Member

Due to the age of the Dolomite's now over the years a lot of wrong era parts will of been fitted for one reason or another to our cars, of which we dont always know the reasoning behind the fitting, my own early sprint was bought as an unfinished restoration with boxes and bags of parts from my sprint as well as all the spares they had accumulated over many years, After going through all the parts etc i believe i have just about everything that should be on a 73 model except a good wiring harness the original wiring harness looks beyond saving but i myself do have a later one in good condition which i will more than likely fit, I'm just stating that these things can and will happen to some of the cars over the years for varying reasons.
At first glance at this one i see the same as others have mentioned, maybe it is maybe it isn't but the only way to find out is to have someone give it a close look around.

steve

1975 green 1500tc auto P reg
1971 wedgewood blue 2000 auto mk2 J reg
1973 white 2000 auto mk2 M reg
1972 valencia blue toledo 2dr K reg
1977 white datsun 100a f2 S reg
because one triumph just isnt enough

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:59 am 

It's not far from you now Steve ;-)

The triplex marks would be a good starting point, followed by the body number plate, but even the glass could have been changed if a donor shell was clear glazed...

I've been trying to see the grab handles in these and the previous photo's, but can't quite make them out, but the rear screen seal looks to be non Sprint...