The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:11 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi All,

Long time since I've posted. But here we are.

My beloved sprint is for sale... after owning it since 2004 I'm now ready to part with it. It's current condition isn't great but with some TLC would pass a MOT.
As with most sprints common rust areas wheel arches, bottom of doors and drivers foot well are pretty rusty. It hasn't run for 8 years but the last thing i did was recondition the twin 45 webbers.

Both Money and Time are preventing me form keeping my dolly and that i'll be starting a family soon so i need the cash.

Could anyone give me a guide price for something in this condition? or even better make an offer.

I'll post pictures soon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:31 pm 

Here's some information about the car:

Asking price £4,000 (offers considered)

Here we have my 1975 Dolomite Sprint. owned since 2003. Due to ill health and serious lack of time the car has fallen into disrepair. But with a small investment of time and money would soon make the new owner very happy as it did me for many years.

Its had several updates and modifications in its life the most recent being in 2008 when we installed a 16V with stage 2 race cam and twin 45 webbers which gave a massive performance boost as you can imagine.

As you can see by the pictures it is tired In places but where the exterior rust is iv'e used Jenolite, a rust curing agent, and then primed the bare metal hence the spots of primer. There is also some rust to the front chassis and a whole in the drivers foot well. common places on any sprint. Other than that it last run in 2010 but the engine still turns by hand. It's a non-runner as the last thing we did was strip down the water pump but never got around to fitting the new improved one due to deteriorating health.
I'm willing to negotiate on price but knowing how much a set of webbers are selling on ebay at £900 and the engine i believe its worth it. it just needs some love. Please contact me if you'd like anymore information.

hmmm photos are proving difficult. it keeps saying "file to big, keep under 1MB" but there all over 1MB.

Photos coming shortly... i hope

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:17 pm 
TDC Committee

Where are you located please?

1965 Triumph 2000 Black
2005 BMW R1200ST Grey/Silver (for sale, enquire if interested)
2009 Fiat Panda White
2016 Jaguar XE Blue
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:07 pm 

Hi, the car is located in Frimley/ camberley just off junction 4 of the M3.

Thanks for your interest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:49 pm 
TDC West Yorks Area Organiser

It is best if you upload your photos to a hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr. If you must upload them directly to the forum then they will need to be resized (this is VERY easy to do in Windows 7 onwards). I've found the "sweet spot" to be 1024 x 768 pixels and seems to work well for most monitors. If you're still struggling then let me know and I'll help you out.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the 1st Wednesday of every month at The Hollies Sports & Social Club, 12 Hough Lane, Bramley, Leeds, LS13 3NE
1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - The rolling restoration)
2008 Citroën C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL - the modern)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com

"I can help you stop smoking in bed. Buy a water bed and fill it with petrol." - Bob Monkhouse OBE (1928-2003)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:40 pm 

Quote:
It is best if you upload your photos to a hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr. If you must upload them directly to the forum then they will need to be resized (this is VERY easy to do in Windows 7 onwards). I've found the "sweet spot" to be 1024 x 768 pixels and seems to work well for most monitors. If you're still struggling then let me know and I'll help you out.

That really kind thanks. I run a mac and not to savvy with it. I uploaded a add to classiccarsforsale.com but yet to have confirmation of listing. But I'll inform the thread when it goes live as there approx 30 pix.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:14 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I think you'll find the webers on ebay are advertised at £900...for at least the second time, as opposed to 'selling'.

Whilst I recognise there has been a surge in perceived values recently, and I hesitate before talking anything down, what you have there is a non-running, tired and frilly around the edges Sprint which looks to be no longer its original colour. I will be surprised if you get anywhere near £4k for it.

Have a look on ebay at similar cars which finished recently, such as the tired carmine red one, and you'll get an idea of what the market might bear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 pm 

Quote:
I think you'll find the webers on ebay are advertised at £900...for at least the second time, as opposed to 'selling'.

Whilst I recognise there has been a surge in perceived values recently, and I hesitate before talking anything down, what you have there is a non-running, tired and frilly around the edges Sprint which looks to be no longer its original colour. I will be surprised if you get anywhere near £4k for it.

Have a look on ebay at similar cars which finished recently, such as the tired carmine red one, and you'll get an idea of what the market might bear

Straight talking...Thanks. As i've already said I'm completely out of touch with the classic car market. However when i was looking to clasiccarsforsale.com they had standard Dolomites similar condition as mine asking £2,500 -£3,000 i took a gamble had thought a (no offence) Sprint would be worth more.

That said i'm open to offers, it is not a set price.

Although i am very attached to it. :cry:

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:53 pm 

For those interested in pictures here's my link to classic cars for sale.com

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/tri ... int/211719

Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:12 pm 
TDC Member

Nice garage door photo!

Sorry, couldn't resist... :)

Disposal fleet: Golf GTi 16v MK3 Anniversary, Tiger Avon (unbuilt)

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated it on pickup from dealer, was made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into, 4 times), Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:43 pm 
TDC Member

Unfortunate reg no ...HGF.....!!!! :lol:

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2008 X-type 2.0D SE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:58 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

...but then looking at what the inca yellow one is currently sitting at, I might have to eat my words. It is certainly a strange time to be selling a Sprint!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:26 pm 
TDC Member

hi

Do you still have the original cabs and water pump for the car,what was wrong with the pump before you removed it,where is the car located,may be interest

Thanks dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:39 pm 

Quote:
hi

Do you still have the original cabs and water pump for the car,what was wrong with the pump before you removed it,where is the car located,may be interest

Thanks dave

Hi David, I'm sure I do. They'll be in a box Somewhere. I also have a doner engine with SU's.

I'm located off junction 4 of the M3. Camberley.

Thanks for the interest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:58 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
...but then looking at what the inca yellow one is currently sitting at, I might have to eat my words. It is certainly a strange time to be selling a Sprint!
That odd looking one (can't put my finger on why, maybe cills) on ebay is now just shy of £6k Alun! :shock:

Disposal fleet: Golf GTi 16v MK3 Anniversary, Tiger Avon (unbuilt)

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated it on pickup from dealer, was made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into, 4 times), Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3