The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Sprint YGD 342S
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

It was indeed 1988 and you bought it from me in Hornchurch. I have another couple of photos if I can find them (I've been scanning in old negs). I loved that car. I used to drive it from Hornchurch down to Portsmouth and overtake all the 'new' hot hatch XR3 drivers. I loved the overdrive (or 3 and 1/2 gear and 4 and 1/2 gear as I used to call it). When you think about modern cars with their 7 and 9 speed semi-automatic gearboxes, overdrive was ahead of it's time, as was the rudimentary anti-lock braking (a valve in the braking system which opened under body weight transfer) as well as 4V/Cyl SOHC, seat belt indicators etc. It looked the part too. I'd love to know what happened to it after you bought it from me. I seem to remember you were going to drive it up to Scotland?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:00 pm 

Another couple of photos Image - note the one from behind the bumper and boot look warped -they were straight -it's just that the negative moved slightly in the negative scanner. Image

Attachments:
PICT0027small.jpg
PICT0027small.jpg [ 61.2 KiB | Viewed 685 times ]
PICT0022small.jpg
PICT0022small.jpg [ 65.4 KiB | Viewed 685 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
TDC Member

I did indeed drive it all the way home to Greenock in Scotland and it never missed a beat the whole journey. I drove it until a year later in 1989 I went back to college and couldn't really afford it. Sold it to a friend who was going to use the engine and gearbox to put in a kit car. Fortunately that didn't happen and he sold it on to another friend of mine (unknown to the first one) and he was a boy racer and blew the engine up. He was 5 up in the sprint racing a 2.8 Capri at 110mph flicking it in and out of overdrive!!
Needless to say the Sprint came off the worst. So I bought it back and completely stripped the engine and spent months rebuilding it. It ran great after the rebuild and is still in good condition, albeit it hasn't run for a long time. I really wish I could take it to Australia with me but that might not happen. My friend has made me an offer but we have yet to discuss it further
I am currently car-less because my Saab 93 turbo blew and only last week the garage called me up to look underneath it to see the bodged hole s in the floorpans which had been disguised by the Saab garage I bought it from. So I have decide to scrap it and am now currently looking for another Saab 93 to use until I move to Perth at the end of this year.
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 pm 
TDC Member

Not been posting for a while, ive been busy getting ready for my move to Australia.
Due to personal circumstances my friend will no longer be buying my Sprint to add to his collection, therefore I am putting it back up for sale.
I will try to get some photos up showing its condition.
If you may recall it was booked to go into the body shop in June for its respray but I cancelled and went to Australia instead.
The car is complete and will come with loads of spares as I need to clear out two garages before I leave.
Sorry if I have not actioned a few requests for parts, I will get on it and respond asap.
Basically the car is needing resprayed ( it is originally Flamenco red) thereafter I have everything required to complete the restoration. Engine is ready to go back in, full SS Rimmers sports exhaust system, halogen headlight conversion kit, complete set of hoses, full Kunifer/copper brake pipes, calipers reconditioned by Bigg Redd and polymer coated in red, all suspension components shot blasted and powder coated black, all suspension bushes renewed with a mixture of poly and standard, all new struts and heavy duty springs.
Spare doors, bonnets, boootlids, glass ( GTS290N I will check for sundym), spare engine which is dismantled but had only 48k on it, o/d gearbox, spare cylinder head.
Sprint95m pm me about the axle if you are still interested and we'll sort something out?

Will need to check everything but this is just off the top of my head. Any questions please ask. I would like this to go to someone in the club who will enjoy it.
My number is 07876194739

Cheers

David Harper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:05 pm 
TDC Member

It's been a pretty wet miserable week this week here. Too wet to take the sprint out of the lockup for photos, though I have found some I took before moving the car out of the workshop . Kevin if you send me your email address I can send these photos to you.

David.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:48 pm 
TDC Member

Im going to advertise this car on other sites if no one in the club wants to have it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 pm 
TDC Member

Stick a price on it Davy, it'll create more interest and people wont feel awkward offering too little. Thats the problem I think. Plenty of folk reading on here would like it probably. Alun could do with another one I expect :)

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:19 pm 
TDC Member

I have it advertised elsewhere for £3000. That price includes all the spares I have. I hope you do not think I am being greedy? I was asking for less when a club member advised me I was asking too little.
I am open to serious offers.
I genuinely would like to see this car go to a club member, someone who has a love for these cars and will finish this project and enjoy the car.
As previously mentioned it only remains to be painted, everything is available to finish ( except a new vinyl roof) and is an easy winter restoration in time for next season.

I have given my notice to the Fire Service, my home is on the market and it is only my beloved Sprint left to sell.
I f you think I am asking too much/little please make me an offer.

I will never recoup the money I have spent on this car, but that's not why we do this, is it?
I wish I could afford to take the car to Australia, but I will need my money for other things.
Still trying to arrange pictures on this post, but in the meantime I can send the photographs which I have to anyone on messenger/ whatsapp or facebook.

Thanks in advance

David Harper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 pm 
TDC Member

Hi everyone, I have decided that I am going to try to move to Australia sooner than I had originally planned, so therefore I am also lowering the price of my sprint and spares.
Asking for £2500 which I think is a fair price.
Otherwise it will lie untouched in my garage, and I really don't want to see that happen.

Thanks

David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:13 am 
TDC Member

Offers?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm 
TDC Member

Hope you do not mind David but I put something on the Facebook TDC page for you.

Disposal fleet: Golf GTi 16v MK3 Anniversary, Tiger Avon (unbuilt)

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated it on pickup from dealer, was made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into, 4 times), Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:34 pm 
TDC Spares Officer

You have a pm David.