The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:41 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Ready to break. It is twisted very much and will snap off soon.

Jeroen
Attachment:
839C843D-1FB2-466E-874C-EF8869601267_zpsnwqvr0uc.jpg
839C843D-1FB2-466E-874C-EF8869601267_zpsnwqvr0uc.jpg [ 86.58 KiB | Viewed 1809 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:46 am 

Jeroen is right. I had a steel pipe fail once at this very spot through corrosion....on the MoT brake rollers!

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:04 pm 
You could try putting thick grease on the part of the pipe where the fitting goes. Then slide the fitting over it. Then put more around the top when fitting is done up. If you do your best to keep moisture out you won't get corrosion there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:28 pm 

Ive never ever had a problem with copper lines, and ive fitted plenty.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:40 am 
Forgot to update this a few weeks ago - so copied the below from another forum! It has since done 300 miles round trip and been part of my wedding (photos to follow). Just prepping it for Retro Rides this weekend now, fitting some Recaro front seats (putting the very good condition originals into storage) and refitting the Compomotive wheels with slightly lower profile and stickier tyres.

Got the Dolly out of the garage Friday in preparation for a fair bit of work on it this weekend, drove about 3 miles down the road and started smelling petrol. Turned out the pipe from the fuel pump was perished and very split as I was greeted with a fountain of the fuel when I opened the bonnet. Friday lunchtime was therefore spent replacing that hose and any others I could see. Drove it Friday evening and Saturday morning no problem but then driving back from work Saturday lunch time I could smell petrol again. This time it turns out it was flowing out of the overflow for the rear float chamber. I quick wiggle of the float (after I worked out what the hell was going on) and it resolved it temporarily, but was still dripping when I got home. It was the first time I've actually had to pull over and work on it on the side of the road, so am I officially a classic car owner now? :D

Sunday my buddy Taylor came over to tick a few things off the list with general tuning/tinkering. That float chamber was also added to the list and after blowing it through with some brake cleaner it seems to be ok, possibly some grit or something had got in there when changing the hoses.
We set the carbs up properly and adjusted the timing as it was waaaay out. Probably to compensate for the carbs being so badly set up too. It was running pretty well before but now it drives like a dream, so much torque and power all the way through the rev range. The only issue being the choke/idle from cold, which I'll find out if we've resolved when I start it this morning.

Next up was to replace the NSF brake pipe as it got a little twisted when replacing the hoses previously. Better to be safe than sorry and all that.

After that we set about on the headlamps and replacing the whole set with modern halogen versions. I wanted to a run a relay to protect the switch on the column, as standard all the headlamps run through that without any fuse, and I don't really like the idea of a fire above my crotch when driving.
We mounted a twin relay under the dashboard and connected that up direct to the battery, then separated the wiring out and connected it all up. The headlamps were a straight swap into the old carriers. And success! Well almost, all the lamps worked apart from the LHF dip beam. Bizarrely the flash main which hadn't worked before was now working. After checking the connectors and bulbs it became clear the wiring must be at fault somewhere. We pulled apart the loom under the bumper and it was immediately clear the wiring was well dead. It was probably 90% corrosion and blackness and 10% copper. As the day was getting late and foolishly I was running out of wire, we ran a new connector to the headlamp and new wires to dip and earth. I didn't have enough for main beam but at least it's useable. I'm going to have to redo the whole front lighting loom at some point as it's pretty knackered, so will tidy everything up then.

Last job of the day was to free up the rear suspension, as I'm going to be using it for one of my wedding cars in 2 weeks and with passengers it scrubs really badly on the new wheels. Unfortunately the rear struts are stuck solid, so won't be adjusting anywhere. Looks like I'll be chucking the original wheels for the wedding and sorting it out at a later date.

After that we went for a quick blast to fine tune the carbs and it was bloody excellent. Which put my mind at ease, I have 2 big trips this week in it, one to Classics on the Common in Harpenden on Wednesday where it'll be on display in the show, and then another to Silverstone Classic at the weekend. Can't wait to get out in the sunshine and do some miles in it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:43 am 
So winter is nearly over and I have a long list of parts to fit to PUS, the most important being new Gaz adjustable shocks all round with new Rimmers springs and a Trackerjack brake kit.
Going to do a week on the NC500 in Scotland in July and then head across to the Old Timer GP at the Nurburgring in August, so she needs to be 100% by then.
Will keep this updated with photos as I go, and also some additional bits I've missed from the last half of last year.