The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:26 am 
Howdy folks ... :bluewave:

Well, after a long time thinking about getting a "classic" car, and also some badgering from a mate, I've just acquired a '73 Dolomite in White.

I say "acquired" as I probably I won't get the keys for another week or so, however, once I hand over the requisite number of beer tokens the car is mine, so it just a formality, right ... :D

From my perspective, the "bad" news is that the car currently has an auto gearbox, and I most definitely want a manual. That said, the mate who was doing the badgering has apparently got an OD gearbox that he was intending to drop into his TR6, right up to the point that his wife pointed out that there wasn't space in the TR for a baby seat ... :wink:

My plans at this stage is to figure out exactly what it is that I've got, then hopefully develop the car into something which can be driven enthusiastically, and possibly see some use at track days, but still be sensible enough to be used as a daily driver if necessary (however my normal "daily driver" is a 25 year old BMW motorbike).

OK ... time for some research ... :-)

Post subject: Hello and .....
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:47 am 
TDC Member

Welcome to the forum John.

We are fortunate to have a few New Zealanders using this forum,
so I am sure that should you need it, help and advice is at hand.

BTW, a TR6 gearbox won't easily fit a Dolomite.
I take it that you are buying a Sprint?

Ian.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:20 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The late TR6 gearbox is identical to the Sprint gearbox, except for the Sprint gearbox has a longer input shaft. You'd also need to acquire an adaptor plate which sits between the gearbox and engine, a clutch and brake pedal and the hydraulics, a shorter propshaft and a different transmission tunnel. All readily available in the UK, but perhaps less so in NZ; you'd need to consult with Geoff and Robert, both of whom live in NZ...we have been known to send them both parts from time to time...

But welcome, let's hope we can assist you in getting on the road in the form you desire

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:30 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome john

You say the car is auto,why not keep it auto,but fit ZF box from a Jag or BMW that way your have best of both world's, you already have the belhousing from the BW box your need an adaptor plate to marry the both up

Dave

Post subject: Aye,....
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:30 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
The late TR6 gearbox is identical to the Sprint gearbox, except for the Sprint gearbox has a longer input shaft. You'd also need to acquire an adaptor plate which sits between the gearbox and engine, a clutch and brake pedal and the hydraulics, a shorter propshaft and a different transmission tunnel.
:D and the gearbox flange, clutch cross-shaft, release bearing tube, gear lever, speedo cable, gearbox cross member & mount and the bracket for the mount.

Ian.

Post subject: Nay ...
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:41 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
gear lever, speedo cable, gearbox cross member & mount and the bracket for the mount.
Not part of the gearbox
Quote:
clutch cross-shaft, release bearing tube
These looked identical on the one I used, and certainly worked OK :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:08 pm 
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome, and just to get things clear from the start, the car is *NOT* a Sprint. The car that I've agreed to buy is an 1850 auto, first registered in NZ 02/73, and the current owner has had the car for about 10 years, but more than that I don't know at this stage.

However, given that the current owner is an elderly gent who's used the car a "few days a week" gives me some hope that the vehicle has not been molested too much ... well not yet anyway ... :wink:

Looking to the future, thanks for the info about the O/D gearbox swap. In my naivety of classics and all things Triumph, I had hoped (assumed) that it was going to be a relatively straight forward swap, but I obviously need to do a lot more research, so be prepared for a barrage of questions ... :-)

As for questions, I'll finish by answering Dave's ...
Quote:
Welcome john

You say the car is auto,why not keep it auto,but fit ZF box from a Jag or BMW that way your have best of both world's, you already have the belhousing from the BW box your need an adaptor plate to marry the both up

Dave
Why swap? Because it's my car, and I want a manual ... :rasp2:

Seriously though, my current car (which I'll be keeping, at least in the short term) is a Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6 Auto (BMW 5 Series size, 200 bhp), common as muck in NZ, but I don't recall ever having seen one in the UK. Anyway, that car is all-day comfortable, utterly reliable, but dull as ditch-water, so for my other car I want something that requires significantly more "driver input" which it rewards with smiles per gallon ... :D

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Welcome John,
I hope you enjoy your Dolomite.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here, who I am sure will be able to help you.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 pm 

I tend to be of the opinion that a dolly 1850 auto is best left in stock condition. To fit a manual o-d box is doable, but probably wouldnt start with a TR6 one.

The axle ratio is also wrong for a manual car, so the diff innards would need changing.

As to the availability of parts in NZ, you may well find them in due course, but surely easier to find a manual dolly.

I'd loose the maxima and run 2 dolomites myself, but appreciate that if you do a lot of miles a boring modern is a necessity
sometimes.

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:10 am 
Well, as they say in this part of the world ... "bugger ..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sn9L94YrNk

Earlier this morning, I got an email from the auction site, and apparently the old "gent" who'd placed the ad had made a mistake and forgotten to add a reserve price to the listing.

However, as xvivalve commented there are a few Kiwi's on the board, and someone has contacted me and given me a few details about the car (NZ is a *VERY SMALL* place, especially when you have specific interests).

Basically, his thoughts are that the car I was looking at probably wasn't the best car for a first Dolomite, and then when you consider the comments about the gearbox swap I was considering .... well, put it this way, I'm not too disappointed that this deal has fallen over.

So, back to the drawing board when it comes to looking for a suitable Classic, and whilst the Dolomite is pretty much at the top of the wish list, I'm quite prepared to consider anything "engaging" that pops up on the radar.

Once again, many thanks for all the replies / advice / comments ... :thumbsup:

Cheers

John