The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:59 pm 
TDC Member

Brother turns up with his 2004 Polo 1.9 SDI with no PAS and that many warning lights on that he should call it Blinky. Fixed the PAS once I had dismantled most of the right-hand side of the car to get to the filler cap, simple one that apart for the special fluid required but a quick trip to Halfords fixed that. PAS warning light now off (and working), that left the ABS light, and the non-working speedo. Vagcom said there was no response from the ABS pump/ECU, wiring checked out fine so £20 replacement from ebay will fix that one. Checked the wheel sensors whilst I was at it and they all seemed fine.

So that left one thing, speedo, and could I find the sender to check? Nope, it's there in the wiring diagram, number 47, but on the car itself I couldn't see it anywhere around the gearbox at all! Would some kind soul be able to put me out of my misery and let me know where it is?!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:12 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Oh I know the answer to this one as I changed one last year but as you have fingers why don't you google it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:36 pm 

Clean and check the 3 fuses on the top of the battery for the abs, its normally the reason for abs failure on these cars.. the speedo takes its reading from the abs so fix that and it should all work.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:33 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Oh I know the answer to this one as I changed one last year but as you have fingers why don't you google it?
I know exactly what to do with two fingers, google that.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Clean and check the 3 fuses on the top of the battery for the abs, its normally the reason for abs failure on these cars.. the speedo takes its reading from the abs so fix that and it should all work.
You know that's exactly what I thought, hence no sender. There's a lot of chatter on this which is not helped by confusion on what people call the differing marks on the various forums like uk-polos.net etc.

I'm fine with Golf's but know nothing about Polo's, so thanks for confirming my thoughts!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:38 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
I know exactly what to do with two fingers, google that.
Now now children, don't make me put you on the naughty step! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:45 pm 

What is his problem with me, the other day I ask a question get the reply 'you have finger google it' but it seems I can't suggest the same.
I haven't got a clue who Galileo is or why he needs to have an attitude with me, yes my reply on this post was a bit childish but why the abrupt reply on the other post?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
What is his problem with me, the other day I ask a question get the reply 'you have finger google it' but it seems I can't suggest the same.
I haven't got a clue who Galileo is or why he needs to have an attitude with me, yes my reply on this post was a bit childish but why the abrupt reply on the other post?
You will have to treat him like a slinky, then :smooch: and make up :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:59 pm 

Quote:

You will have to treat him like a slinky, then :smooch:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: