The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am 
TDC Member

Put some blue tack or plasticine on the bolt head then press the cover down onto it. Measure the thickness of the blue tack to give your bolt to cover clearance and adjust from there.

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

As usual Tony, good advice.
Thank You.
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:23 pm 

Quote:
A new 12 vane cover arrived, but when I installed it, I found that there was absolutely no clearance between it (anywhere around it) and the block, when the bolts were done up finger tight.
According to "the book" an additional 10 to 25 thou in gasket width should be applied, "to attain the correct running clearance."
Well, if I have absolutely no clearance to add the 10 to 25 to, how do I know what the overall gap should be? HELP.

I'm not 100% happy with the quality of the cover because of this. Additionally the casting is so poor that it wont allow me to put a socket or a ring spanner on one of the bolts. I looked at using a Dremmel to grind a larger space around the bolt hole for the bolt head, but on inspection it appears that the wall is not thick enough to allow it. I even considered grinding down the bolt head to a smaller size so I could fit a smaller socket on it, but instead, I've ordered some Allen headed bolts.

Your advice on the cover clearance will be very welcome.

Thanks & Cheers,
Rob
You've modified it, so might be a bit late, but I would send it back and look for new old stock/salvaged on here. It will be better quality.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:29 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

...and of course, if there is no gap when you dry fit the cover, it means you just use 10-25 thou of gaskets. I always err on the thicker rather than the minimum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:31 am 

This saga appears to be over.
All the bits arrived and this afternoon I installed the pump for a second time.
I refilled the coolant as per the book, got it up to operating temp and kept it there for about 15 mins with no sign of a leak.
I'm now 100% convinced that it was my short cut of cleaning up the impeller rather than having it machined, that was the problem.
I wont make that mistake again.
"Thank You' all, for your guidance through this. Its very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am 
TDC Member

Well done Rob :thumbsup:

Tony